- Current registration with a UK regulatory body where appropriate
- Current employment in management, practice or education as appropriate
- A Masters qualification (or equivalent)
- Employment in a senior position within a health or social care organisation
Months of entry
A Professional Doctorate is a specialist qualification that is appropriate if you are in, or are aspiring to, a senior professional appointment in practice, education or management in health or social care. It demonstrates your ability to perform at the level of 'expert' within your area of specialisation.
The aim of the course is to provide a unified approach to theory and practice within a professional context, so your learning is structured to allow you to develop your skills both in the workplace and within the university environment.
Depending on your individual circumstances, your study can be undertaken over the course of between 4 and 7 years. During this time, you will prepare two portfolios which chronical your development of expert practice in your workplace. In tandem, you also study taught modules at the University of Essex which provide you with the expertise in qualitative, statistical and other research methods required for researching healthcare.
Your own interests, experiences, and needs determine a great deal about how your course is structured, and what areas you focus on. A key part of demonstrating your expertise in your specialist area is the development of a 40,000-word dissertation on a relevant topic. Within the School we offer guidance and supervision in a wide range of areas which include amongst others:
- Approaches to pain management
- Child and adolescent mental health
- Clinical decision making
- Cross-cultural mental health
- Health services research
- Mental health services
- Nursing theory and practice
- Post-trauma responses/stress disorder/growth
- Professional/clinical education and practice
- Service evaluation and development
- Social epidemiology and health inequalities
- Social inequality and health
- Understanding and application of research in health settings.
You will have regular one-to-one meetings with your supervisor to develop your research topics and plan, and to discuss progress on your research. A full list of research interests can be found on our staff pages.
At the end of your time with us, you will have a qualification which demonstrate you to be a true expert in your field.
The cost of required uniform will be fully covered by the school.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time84 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries