Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
A 2:2 degree (50%+) with honours in Accounting, Finance, Investment, Economics or related discipline from a recognised university. Evidence of mathematical/quantitative* ability is essential. We do consider all applications where there is evidence of exceptional performance in modules relevant to the programme of study, significant relevant work experience or professional qualifications such as CFA, ACCA, ICAEW, ICAS and CIMA.
In order to apply for the MSc Finance and Management applicants must have passed at 2:2 level at least one module in a mathematical/quantitative subject in their undergraduate degree and must offer at least four more modules at 2:2 level in any of the following: Accounting, Economics, Finance and Mathematics.
*Mathematics modules may include, for example, Algebra, Calculus, Econometrics, Statistics, Probability or Optimisation.
Months of entry
- Ideal for anyone wanting to start or progress their career in the finance function of an organisation and then move into general management later.
- Gain a solid foundation in finance, an overview of the management functions within an organisation, and an introduction into the main ideas and functions of international business and marketing.
- Choose from a full range of options in both finance and management, so it is possible to tailor your studies to match your career goals.
- In addition, intensive computing training covering Datastream, Thomson Reuters, Bloomberg, BvD Orbis and Zephyr, and other financial databases and software systems including STATA and VBA, is incorporated into relevant modules.
This degree programme prepares you for a variety of roles, it is particularly relevant to working in small business where the ability to control finances is essential, within the finance function of large business organisations, and also in public sector organisations.
Possible options include:
- Investment Analyst (market research, analysis of funds, trends for strategic planning)
- Investment/Portfolio Manager (dealing with client’s portfolio & completing transactions)
- General Manager
By carefully selecting your optional modules such as banking, entrepreneurship, portfolio management, investment analysis, corporate finance & governance, international human resource management or strategic innovation management, you can start to develop a specialisation to enhance your employability and achieve your career goals.
Potential employers include:
- investment management companies where analysts provide information to in-house fund managers
- stockbrokers and investment banks, where the analysts' research assists clients of their company, usually fund managers but sometimes also company executives and directors
- wealth management divisions of investment banks
- institutional investors, such as large charities, pension funds and life assurance companies
- government or public organisations
- SMEs (small and medium-sized enterprises)
Multi-nationals such as Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Barclays, HSBC, Vanguard Asset Management, Credit Suisse, Amundi, Citibank and Deutsche Bank have graduate training routes in many countries in which they are based. Country-specific financial institutions like Bank of China (Hong Kong) or China Construction Bank and smaller organisations across the world also offer graduate training routes and employment opportunities with specific recruitment cycles appropriate to their local employment market.
Graduates from this programme have secured roles with a range of organisations, including PWC (Vietnam), British Fortune Group, Ernst & Young, Samsung, The Body Shop, Coca Cola HBC and JP Morgan Chase.
Information for international students
Overall score 6.5. No less than 6.0 in any section.
Overall score 90 with minimum scores of 21 for writing, 21 for listening, 22 for reading and 23 for speaking.
58 with no less than 55 in all communicative skills.
Fees and funding
The University of Exeter is offering scholarships to the value of over £4 million for students starting with us in September 2021. Details of scholarships, including our Global Excellence scholarships and GREAT scholarships (British Council and the GREAT Britain Campaign) for international fee paying students, can be found on our dedicated funding page.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time9-12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Business School Postgraduate Admissions Officer
- +44 (0) 1392 726679