Normally a good UK Honours degree (2:1 Honours or international equivalent) and a Masters degree, although in some cases (normally within the sciences) a Masters degree isn't essential
Months of entry
January, September, April
Our research degrees provide opportunities to study with leading academics and practitioners who are specialists in strategy and security. We particularly welcome enquiries from students seeking to undertake research in our key impact areas.
Our research agenda is broad and inclusive, incorporating people working across the whole spectrum of contemporary security issues. We have a vibrant, collaborative and interdisciplinary research culture and our international community of researchers and practitioners has an excellent record of winning external funding and promoting collaboration and impact.
We offer research supervision on a range of topics. These include:
- Integrated approaches to conflict prevention and management
- The changing character of contemporary conflict including counter-insurgency and cyber security
- International efforts to stabilise failed, failing or fragile states
- Middle East and North African security
- Decision-making and leadership in strategy
- Strategy and security in the contemporary world
- Strategic understanding
- Defence reform and strategy in the context of wider public policy with particular reference to the UK, US, NATO and the Middle East
- Science, technology and security policy
- Strategy in application
- Humanitarian intervention and the laws of armed conflict
- Civil-military relations, strategic culture and security sector governance
- Arms control and non-proliferation including sensitive technology and arms export controls
- US-European security and defence relations and the role and future of NATO
- Domestic security, public resilience and counter-terrorism
- The politics of defence industrial consolidation in Europe and the US
- Ethics of the use of armed force
Comparative Political Behaviour & Institutions Public Policy International Studies Political Theory
Information for international students
We warmly welcome international students to all three of our beautiful campuses. At present 4,000 students from over 130 countries contribute to a thriving international community.
Fees and funding
The University of Exeter invests significantly in a range of funding opportunities for talented prospective postgraduates. Please visit our website for further details. Here you can search our database for funding opportunities suitable for your area of interest.
Qualification and course duration
MSc by research
Course contact details
- Graduate Research School
- +44(0) 1392 724490