Normally a first degree in language or in education equivalent to a UK Second Class Honours. Please contact the school for full information.
Months of entry
The MEd Tesol at the University of Exeter is aimed at qualified teachers and others who work in TESOL at either primary, secondary or tertiary levels in different educational contexts around the world. This programme offers two routes; one for teaching practitioners seeking to develop their professional skills and the other for those wanting to enter a career in language teaching.
The MEd TESOL has international recognition and is seen as an important professional qualification worldwide to enable TESOL teachers to enhance their career prospects. In particular, it is often seen as an important entry qualification for educators who want to work at University level. At Exeter, depending on the modules taken, completion of the MEd TESOL can help you to move into new areas within TESOL such as teacher education and training, English for special purposes, materials development and the teaching of English to young learners.
TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) is a broad term, encompassing a number of other terms related to the various contexts in which English is taught around the world. These include:
· TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language), which refers specifically to the teaching of English in countries where it is not an official language
· TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language), which refers to those contexts where English is acquired as a second language, in addition to a first language, as is the case where English is used as the language of government, for example, or education
· TEAL (Teaching English as an Additional Language).
The programme offers you the opportunity to gain hands-on experience by undertaking visits to local language schools in Exeter.
You will also develop your understanding of theoretical issues in language teaching and the implications of these for classroom practice through insights shared by guest speakers.
The programme will:
· develop and extend your understanding of key aspects of linguistics and learning theory and their influence on the teaching of English to speakers of other languages;
· enable you to make informed professional decisions regarding language teaching in the workplace and justify these to others;
· enable you to select, adapt and design materials and activities for language teaching appropriate to your own teaching context;
· enable you to investigate and research aspects of TESOL in ways that will support continuing development and practice as a foreign language teaching professional.
This Masters pathway gives you the opportunity to study another aspect of education by selecting up to 30 credits of optional modules from the other MA Education options.
Information for international students
We warmly welcome international students to all three of our beautiful campuses. At present 4,000 students from over 130 countries contribute to a thriving international community. Details of our academic and English language requirements, along with details of English language support can be found at www.exeter.ac.uk/postgraduate/admissions/applying/english
Fees and funding
The University of Exeter invests significantly in a range of funding opportunities for talented prospective postgraduates. Please visit www.exeter.ac.uk/scholarships for further details. Here you can search our database for funding opportunities suitable for your area of interest.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- SSIS Student Recruitment Office
- +44 (0)1392 723192