Normally a strong background in the field of study at undergraduate level or an MSc in a related subject that would underpin the knowledge required to conduct independent research as an Phil/PhD student. This would usually require a good 2:1 BSc degree for UK students.
Months of entry
January, September, April
The University of Exeter is one of the foremost Sport and Health Sciences research departments anywhere in the UK. Our academics are recognised as being world-leading experts in their chosen fields. We continue to pursue research of international excellence across the discipline, as recognised in the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014), the UK government’s main measure of quality of universities’ research.
Successfully completing an MPhil or PhD entails undertaking an in-depth study of a particular topic and making an original contribution to knowledge in the field. Our MPhil/PhD students are actively involved in work at the cutting edge of research activities within Sport and Health Sciences at Exeter. Our research students benefit from modern study suites, are provided with a personal computer with internet access and specialised software, and have access to generous travel funds.
This research-intensive environment is crucial to our continued success, with the knowledge, expertise and skills of our academic staff underpinning the study experience of all our students and researchers
As a research student in Sport and Health Sciences at Exeter, you will study within an experienced support structure including:
- Professors, Associate Professors, Readers, Senior Lecturers, Lecturers and Research Fellows;
- full technical and administrative support;
- a programme of workshops and seminars, including sessions with internationally recognised visiting academics.
Our research students have:
- presented their work to international conferences and published in peer-reviewed journals prior to graduation;
- won numerous international and national awards for research excellence;
- all moved into full-time employment on graduation;
- work in universities all over the UK as well as in Australia, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Mexico, Portugal, Singapore and the USA.
Information for international students
If you are an international student, please visit our international equivalency pages to enable you to see if your existing academic qualifications meet our entry requirements.
English language requirementsIELTS (Academic)
Overall score 6.5. No less than 6.0 in any section.TOEFL IBT*
Overall score 90 with minimum scores of 21 for writing, 21 for listening, 22 for reading and 23 for speaking.Pearson Test of English (Academic)
58 with no less than 55 in all communicative skills.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- +44 (0) 1392 725150