Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Normally a 2:2 Honours degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline. Relevant clinical experience will be required (see details below).
Individuals who don't meet the normal entry criteria but have relevant professional experience may also be welcomed on to this MSc programme. Qualifications and experience will be assessed on application. Informal enquires are welcome before the formal application stage and we can discuss which areas of the course may need particular attention or advise on pre-course study to maximise your learning engagement. Should you wish to discuss this please contact our Student Recruitment and Admissions Team.
Months of entry
- A unique programme delivered in partnership between the University of Exeter Medical School and World Extreme Medicine
- Distance-learning programme, delivered through attendance at residentials in the UK or overseas
- You’ll experience medicine at its best, crossing geographical and professional boundaries
- You will be challenged to think critically around the concepts for delivering care in challenging environments
- You can choose to undertake a specialism in Cold Environments, Hot Environments or Humanitarian Relief
- You’ll learn how to make the exceptional happen, by challenging traditional thinking and defying conventional boundaries
Extreme Medicine is an emerging specialty. Graduates of the programme will enhance their medical skills to practice in challenging and remote environments. They will acquire field based knowledge and skills to demonstrate their strategic understanding of expedition operations, to potential employers and to the wider deployment team.
Potential roles may include:
- Disaster response, working with NGO’s or government contracts
- Medical cover for security operations
- Expedition and wilderness medicine
- Working with media organisations
- Remote research or logistics
Information for international studentsEnglish language requirements
• IELTS: Overall score 6.5. No less than 6.0 in any section.
• TOEFL: Overall score 90 with minimum scores of 21 for writing, 21 for listening, 22 for reading and 23 for speaking.
• Pearson: 58 with no less than 55 in all communicative skills.
Please visit our entry requirements section for equivalencies from your country and further information on English language requirements.
Fees and funding
The University of Exeter is offering scholarships to the value of over £4 million for students starting with us in September 2021. Details of scholarships, including our Global Excellence scholarships for international fee paying students, can be found on our dedicated funding page.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time36 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions
- +44 (0)1392 725500