2.1 Honours degree or non-UK equivalent in economics or finance, or a related disciple, with at least three courses in economics, finance and/or development.
International students with academic qualifications below those required should contact our partner institution, Glasgow International College, who offer a range of pre-Masters courses.
Months of entry
Finance & Economic Devlopment is designed for economics graduates who would like to develop an understanding of the nature of the differing institutional settings of financial systems and their effects on economic growth in developed and developing countries. This programme will help equip you for a career as an economist in public and private institutions concerned with economic development and finance capacity.
- Finance & Economic Development will provide you with a good understanding of:
- the role of money and financial intermediation in economic growth
- the rationale for financial repression and financial liberalisation
- structures and social functions of monetary and financial systems in both developing and developed countries
- operation of economic stabilisation and financial regulation
- the role of appropriate institutions for financial development and international financial integration
- financial and economic crisis and ways of promoting recovery and of preventing similar events in the future
- tools which are used to evaluate the problem of moral hazard in relation to international rescue operations
- how analytical frameworks can be used to evaluate strategies of growth and development
- This programme provides you with the empirical tools, data and software training that will enable you to do research in finance and economic development and help prepare you for your dissertation.
- You will be taught by experts in the field, many of whom have worked with international and government organisations including the IMF, World Bank, UN, Asian Development Bank, Commonwealth Secretariat, central banks and government organisations in developing countries.
- You will have access to all conferences and seminars hosted by the Glasgow Centre for International Development. This means you will be exposed to interdisciplinary research and approaches to development in the fields of medicine, veterinary medicine, environmental management, sustainability or education.
- The Adam Smith Business School celebrates the legacy of Adam Smith by developing enlightened, enterprising and engaged graduates and internationally-recognised research with real social impact.
Adam Smith Business School is triple accredited
Information for international students
This one-year masters programme is eligible for a new, streamlined visa application process: find out more
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Further details of qualification
This Masters programme provides training for those concerned with finance and development issues in governments, central banks and international organisations, including commercial banks and corporations.
Course contact details
- Adam Smith Business School