Applicant should have a minimum 2:1 Honours degree or non-UK equivalent (eg, a GPA of 3.0 or above) in Economics, Finance, Engineering, Physics, or another highly mathematical discipline. International students with academic qualifications below those required should contact our partner institution, Glasgow International College, who offer a range of pre-Masters courses.
Months of entry
This programme offers training in the key areas of investment fund management with particular emphasis on hedge fund management and applications of financial engineering.
- On this programme you will acquire a sound understanding of how an investment fund works, legal aspects of the assets under management and the risk related to different asset classes.
- You will acquire employability skills by practising real case studies using the Adam Smith Business School's dedicated Bloomberg trading room.
You will take four core courses, two optional courses and complete a substantial independent piece of work, normally in the form of a dissertation. Students will be welcome to attend Economics research seminars taking place in the Adam Smith Business School as well as practitioners’ talks.
- Advanced portfolio analysis
- Financial markets, securities and derivatives
- Hedge fund risk management
- Portfolio analysis and investment.
- Applied computational finance
- Basic econometrics
- Financial derivatives (Mathematical finance is a co-requisite for this course)
- Financial market micro structure
- Mathematical finance
- The law and economics of sovereign debt regulation.
Other optional courses may be available subject to the approval by the programme director.
Information for international students
The University of Glasgow welcomes students from over 100 different countries. For applicants whose first language is not English, the University normally sets a minimum English Language proficiency level. Visit: http://www.gla.ac.uk/international/englishlanguagerequirements/ for details.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Adam Smith Business School