The programme is open to doctors, nurses and allied health professionals. Doctors require completion of the Basic Foundation Programme or equivalent.
The entry requirements are:
- A relevant health professional qualification
- Current or recent employment within a critical care setting
- Normally a minimum of one to two years' experience in critical care practice
- IELTS score as per Glasgow University standard for candidates whose first language is not English.
Months of entry
This programme enables entrants to enhance their knowledge in the field of critical care, improve research and academic writing skills, and consolidate clinical experience in a simulated environment at our state-of-the-art facilities at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital critical care floor. There is an emphasis on leadership skills and the application of evidence based medicine to plan and drive change in critical care. In addition to clinical topics, the programme explores non-clinical areas such as Audit and Quality Improvement amongst others. The programme is intended to meet the needs of anyone working within critical care who wishes to improve their knowledge, academic and leadership skills. Successful completion will lead to the award of a postgraduate degree that would be excellent for personal development and a stepping stone for career progression.This is the only MSc programme in Critical Care in Scotland. It provides an opportunity to obtain a postgraduate degree in this developing and exciting clinical field.
- The programme is taught at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital which has the largest critical care facilities in Scotland and one of the largest in the UK. The hospital itself was opened in 2015 and is one of the biggest in Europe.
- The programme is delivered by experts in the field of critical care using a multimodal teaching approach which includes lectures, seminars, simulated cases and ward rounds
- The work and assignments during the course are tailored in order for students to reflect on implementing knowledge and skills in their own workplace in the UK or internationally.
- The University of Glasgow is ranked top amongst UK medical schools in the National Student Survey (2016) with 98% overall student satisfaction.
Information for international students
Please see the English language requirements.
Fees and funding
Please see the range of scholarships on offer.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- MVLS Critical Care