The programme is open to doctors, nurses and allied health professionals. Doctors require completion of the Basic Foundation Programme or equivalent.
The entry requirements are:
- A relevant health professional qualification
- Current or recent employment within a critical care setting
- Normally a minimum of one to two years' experience in critical care practice
- IELTS score as per Glasgow University standard for candidates whose first language is not English.
Months of entry
Intensive Care Medicine is rapidly emerging as a standalone specialty throughout the world. With sepsis as a leading cause of death and a growing population with an increasing number of manageable comorbidities, the burden on ICU is rising. Whether you choose to study full time or part time, the MSc, PG Diploma, PG Certificate in Critical Care offers the opportunity to enhance your knowledge and will consolidate your expertise in the field. Learning opportunities are delivered by experts in Critical Care in one of the largest teaching hospitals in the UK. Areas covered include hot topics such as; sepsis, multi-organ failure and Critical Care governance.
- The University of Glasgow is ranked 2nd in the UK for Medicine (Sunday Times 2018).
- This is the only MSc programme in Critical Care in Scotland. It provides an opportunity to obtain a postgraduate degree in this developing and exciting clinical field.
- The programme is taught at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital (QEUH) which has the largest critical care facilities in Scotland and one of the largest in the UK. The hospital itself was opened in 2015 and is one of the biggest in Europe.
- The programme is delivered by experts in the field of critical care using a multimodal teaching approach which includes lectures, seminars, simulated cases and ward rounds.
- The work and assignments during the course are tailored in order for students to reflect on implementing knowledge and skills in their own workplace in the UK or internationally.
- The University of Glasgow is ranked top amongst UK medical schools in the National Student Survey (2016) with 98% overall student satisfaction.
Find out more about core and optional courses
Information for international students
This one-year masters programme is eligible for a new, streamlined visa application process: find out more
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions