2:1 Honours degree or equivalent in a related subject area. Professional experience and 2:2 Honours degree with strong subject specific expertise may also be considered.
This programme would primarily target life science or medical science graduates. Students with an interest in precision medicine who have a background in chemical sciences, physics, mathematics, computing or pharmacy may also be interested. In exceptional circumstances, other science graduates or bioscience graduates may be eligible on demonstration of appropriate postgraduate professional experience.
Months of entry
Equip yourself with state-of-the-art knowledge relating to the mechanisms of chronic disease progression. Learn how these underlying causes are targeted therapeutically and discover the technologies helping to detect and diagnose the chosen disease specialism. This MSc is designed to directly meet research demands in the NHS, industry and academia where there is a need for scientists with both biological knowledge and the computational, statistical, analytical, and practical skills to drive precision medicine.
WHY THIS PROGRAMME
- Be a part of the next generation of scientists responsible for creating new diagnostic tests and new tailored therapies to aid earlier diagnosis and optimal treatment for patients suffering from cancer, cardiovascular or inflammatory disease.
- Study specialisms in cancer, cardiovascular or inflammatory disease.
- Focus on employability skills, precision diagnostics / therapeutics and 'big data'.
- Seminars from world class leaders in field from around the world, including academics, industry experts, and NHS experts (e.g. Professor Calum MacRae, Ken Sutherland, Harper van Steenhouse, David Brunton, Marian McNeil, Claire Orange, Prof Dame Dominiczak, Prof Andrew Biankin, Professor Iain McInnes, etc)
- Gain skills and experience to allow you to become an outstanding researcher in this field, working towards pre-emptive, predictive, personalised and participatory medicine.
- Be part of developing new diagnostic tests and new tailored therapies to aid earlier diagnosis and optimal treatment for patients suffering from cancer, cardiovascular disease or inflammatory disease.
- Expand your understanding of these diseases to enable the identification of the molecular causes and ultimately support the development of novel, more precisely targeted treatments in these areas.
- Utilise cutting-edge facilities, research and teaching experience at the University of Glasgow and Queen Elizabeth University Hospital.
- Advantage of being at the centre of several important centres for precision medicine including Stratified Medicine Scotland, Innovation Centre, Imaging Centre of Excellence and Sir Henry Wellcome Functional Genomics Facility.
- Experience a true representation of what goes on in the field of Precision Medicine that directly links back to the patients’ needs since these centres and facilities are currently used by industry, academia and the NHS.
- Precision Medicine is a multi-billion pound industry globally and Scotland is a pioneering nation in this field because of our 'triple helix' links to the NHS, academia and industry partnership, giving you great networking and career options.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- MVLS Precision Medicine