A 2.1 Honours degree or equivalent.
- Transcripts/degree certificate
- Two references
- A one-page research proposal
Months of entry
January, December, November, October, September, August, July, June, May, April, March, February
Scottish Universities Environmental Research Centre (SUERC) is a dynamic research centre that is home to state-of-the-art analytical technology that we use to address major issues in environmental, earth and life sciences.
Scottish Universities Environmental Research Centre (SUERC) is home to state-of-the-art analytical technology, used to address major issues in environmental, earth and life sciences. Our students are trained to become experts in analytical science, and benefit from access to the wide range of equipment and technical expertise.
We comprise approximately 40 academic staff, research assistants, fellows and post-graduate research students that contribute to RCUK, EU and industrially funded research projects. We host several national Facilities for NERC.
We have strong links to science research at the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh, and host many visiting international researchers.
Research at SUERC is organised around three main themes:
- Isotope Geosciences
- Isotope Biochemistry
- Radiometrics, Environmental Chemistry and Radiocarbon
Illustrative research topics
- Quaternary geochronology (14C, cosmogenic isotopes, OSL, 210Pb)
- High precision geohronology & thermochronology of deep time (Rb/Sr, Ar/Ar, (U-Th)/He)
- Tracing and timing climate and environmental change
- Environmental C cycling (14C, stable isotopes)
- Fluids in Earth’s crust (14C, stable and noble gas isotopes)
- Food authentification (luminescence, stable isotopes)
- Stable isotope biochemistry
- Tracing man-made and natural radionuclides in the environment
- Natural analogue studies of nuclear waste stores
Start dates are set by both the supervisor and the department. As such some PHD options will have fixed start dates (likely January/October) and others have a rolling intake. For more details please contact the relevant department.
Information for international students
Fees and funding
View a full list of our current scholarships.
Qualification and course duration
MSc by research
Course contact details