Normally a 2.1 Honours degree or equivalent qualification (for example, GPA 3.0 or above) in a relevant subject e.g. Geography, Earth Science, Environmental Science, Ecology, Biological Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering, Computing Science.
Months of entry
The Masters in Sustainable Water Environments will provide you with multidisciplinary knowledge and expertise in river catchment, lake and coastal environments, with a focus on the impact of and adaptation to changing environments. The programme is designed to enable you to develop an in-depth and critical understanding of contemporary global issues in surface water environments including climate and land use change, flood risk, restoration, ecosystem health, and associated management perspectives. The programme is ideal for you if you are keen to pursue a professional career or research in the water environment.
- The School of Geographical and Earth Sciences is ranked 28th in the world (QS World Rankings 2016).
- Research in the Earth Systems Research Group and SUERC was ranked 1st in Scotland for world-leading publications and research environment in REF2014.
- The School is ranked amongst the top 10 in the UK and top 5 in Scotland, recently achieving 2nd in Scotland and 9th in the UK (Guardian University Guide 2017).
- The School has an Athena Swan Silver Award, demonstrating the School’s support for women in scientific studies and careers, and to improve the working environment for all.
- This programme equips students with an interdisciplinary perspective on different surface water environments.
- Seminars given by industry feature throughout the programme.
- MSc project options are either in collaboration with industry, or academic researchers in the School’s Earth Systems Research Group or the Scottish Universities Environmental Research Centre (SUERC).
- You will attend a residential semester 1 field class integrated into the 'monitoring water systems' course.
- The School owns specialist laboratory and field equipment. Students with interests in surveying water environments will benefit from access to the latest surveying equipment and software including RTK GNSS. Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) and terrestrial laser scanners.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Nicola Mills-Wierda