Awarded or expected 1st class or high upper 2nd class BSc degree.
Applicants should submit:
- Transcripts/degree certificate
- Two references
- A one-page research proposal
- Name of potential Supervisor
Candidates are required to provide a single page outline of the research subject proposed (approximately 1000 words). This need not be a final thesis proposal but should include:
- a straightforward, descriptive, and informative title
- the question that your research will address
- an account of why this question is important and worth investigating
- an assessment of how your own research will engage with recent study in the subject
- a brief account of the methodology and approach you will take
- a discussion of the primary sources that your research will draw upon, including printed books, manuscripts, archives, libraries, or museums
- an indicative bibliography of secondary sources that you have already consulted and/or are planning to consult
Months of entry
January, December, November, October, September, August, July, June, May, April, March, February
We are at the forefront of educational research in the UK with a collective expertise across all sectors of education.
We welcome applications from students wishing to pursue progressive and international research in education.
Find out more about the strengths and expertise of potential supervisors in your area of interest by browsing our research groups:
- Creativity, Culture and Faith
- Interdisciplinary Learning Education Technology and Society
- Professional Learning and Leadership
- Social Justice, Place and Lifelong Education
- Curriculum, Assessment and Pedagogy
Start dates are set by both the supervisor and the department. As such some PHD options will have fixed start dates (likely January/October) and others have a rolling intake. For more details please contact the relevant department.
Information for international students
Please see the English Language requirements if your first language is not English. Please also see the international page.
Fees and funding
Please see the postgraduate research scholarships.
Qualification and course duration
MLitt by research
MSc by research
Course contact details