The normal entry qualification is a Master's level qualification, or equivalent, in education or a cognate subject area.
Months of entry
This is an innovative programme offering a professionally relevant and academically rigorous opportunity for advanced study in education. The programme is designed for professionals at all levels in education, training and development, and in education-related fields.
- The Doctorate is comparable to a PhD in terms of scale and rigour. It differs in that it provides a structured programme of advanced study that is relevant to your profession and focused on the inter-relationship of research, policy and practice.
- There’s a focus on collaborative learning, drawing on your own experiences and those of your academic colleagues.
- As you focus your studies into specialist areas, you will benefit from the activity of our five knowledge and research transfer groups: Creativity, culture and faith; Interdisciplinary science education, technologies and learning; Professional learning and leadership; Pedagogy, policy and practice; Social justice, place and lifelong education.
Years 1, 2 and 3
Six taught courses each lasting one semester and each with one weekend in Glasgow. These courses are currently
- Critical reflection in professional learning and practice
- Education policy
- Educational futures
- Ethics and education OR Lifelong learning
- Open studies one: Advancing research methods
- Open studies two: Applying research methods
Years 3 and 4
Work towards the submission of a dissertation of 50,000 to 60,000 words, supported by an appropriate supervisor.
You normally undertake two courses per year. Progressing at a normal pace, successful candidates can complete the Doctorate in five years. However, we realise that circumstances occasionally mean participants need to take a break from studies and the programme allows candidates to suspend their studies for a limited time period.
Management of Education; Leadership; Policy Studies; Theory; Philosophy of Education; Early Childhood Education; Professional Issues in Education; Comparative and International Education
Information for international students
General English language requirements IELTS 7.0 (with no subtest less than 7) ibTOEFL: 92; no sub-test less than 22 with Speaking no less than 23; CAE (Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English): 185; no sub-test less than 185 CPE (Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English): 185; no sub-test less than 185.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
MSc by research
Course contact details
- Professor Penny Enslin