A degree in the Sport and Exercise Sciences, Physiotherapy, Medicine, other relevant biological/biomedical sciences, or other health professions/health-related areas (at least a 2:2 Honours Degree or equivalent). Alternative qualifications will also be considered on a case-by-case basis.
An IELTS score of at least 6.5 with a minimum score of 6.0 in each component (or equivalent qualification) is required for students who do not have English as their first language.
International students with academic qualifications below those required should contact our partner institution, Glasgow International College, who offer a range of pre-Masters courses.
Months of entry
This online taught MSc in Sports Science is designed to provide you with an advanced, research-led programme of study in sport and exercise science and medicine. A key strength of this programme is its flexibility, which enables you to specialise in physical activity and health, sports performance, or sports medicine.
- This is the only MSc in Sports Science in Scotland that merges Sport and Exercise Medicine and Sport and Exercise Science within a single degree programme providing a broad range of options across these disciplines.
- You will benefit from access to the expertise of the staff at the National Stadium Sports, Health and Injury Clinic at Hampden Park – a custom-built, state-of-the-art sports medicine facility.
- We have exciting scholarship opportunities, find out more
- You will develop and enhance your skills in literature searching and critically evaluating relevant scientific evidence; application of knowledge to novel concepts and situations; experimental design; research methods and ethics; data handling and statistics; interpretation and evaluation of experimental data; scientific writing; and oral presentations.
- The University has state-of-the-art facilities to study performance and health aspects of sport and exercise science, from the whole body to the molecular level. These include advanced exercise laboratories, metabolic investigation suites and a molecular biochemistry lab. We are the best equipped exercise science group for laboratory facilities in Scotland, making the University of Glasgow the perfect place to study an MSc in Sports Science.
- The University has close links with a number of regional/national sporting bodies and a number of professional sporting clubs. There may be opportunities for internships (in place of a research project) for some students.
- You will have access to a number of guest lecture staff providing interactive sessions in their specialist fields.
The course will involve online lectures, seminars and tutorials and during a residential week at the end of year 1 you will take part in lab classes. You will also take part in journal clubs, presentations and self-directed learning. The programme is made up of 60 compulsary credits and 3 x 20 credit options (X,Y and Z) plus a research project (60 credits).
Evidence Based Medicine (20 credits)
Medical Statistics (10 credits)
Physiological Exercise Testing 1 - Aerobics Fitness and Physical Activity (10 credits)
Physiological Exercise Testing 2 - Strength, power and intensity domains (10 credits)
Human physiological & metabolic assessment (10 credits)
Choose one X option, one Y option and one Z option:
Option courses - X
Physical activity and health: public health, policy & behaviour changes
Sports injuries: scientific basis of preventation and rehabilitation
Clinical Sports Injuries (also involves a short residential period at the end of year 2)
Option courses - Y
Physical activity and health: biological mechanisms
Ergogenic Aids for Exercise Performance
Sport and Exercise Medicine in Practice
Option courses - Z
Cellular and molecular exercise physiology
The world class athlete: nature, nurture and maximising performance
Exercise in clinical populations
The flexibility of this programme will provide you with many career opportunities. These include working in clinical exercise, health-promotion or in sports science support. A number of our graduates are employed in senior sports science positions with national sporting bodies and professional sports clubs. This programme also allows doctors and physiotherapists to aid their knowledge; for science graduates, there are opportunities in rehabilitation and higher education. It also provides an excellent basis if you wish to pursue PhD level research.
Information for international students
For applicants whose first language is not English, the University sets a minimum English Language proficiency level.
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic module (not General Training)
- overall score 6.5
- no sub-test less than 6.0
- or equivalent scores in another recognised qualification:
Common equivalent English language qualifications
All stated English tests are acceptable for admission for both home/EU and international students for this programme:
- ibTOEFL: 90; no sub-test less than:
- Reading: 20
- Listening: 19
- Speaking: 19
- Writing: 23
- CAE (Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English): 176 overall; no sub-test less than 169
- CPE (Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English): 176 overall; no sub-test less than 169
- PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English, Academic test): 60; no sub-test less than 59
- Trinity College London Integrated Skills in English: ISEII at Distinction with Distinction in all sub-tests
For international students, the Home Office has confirmed that the University can choose to use these tests to make its own assessment of English language ability for visa applications to degree level programmes. The University is also able to accept an IELTS test (Academic module) from any of the 1000 IELTS test centres from around the world and we do not require a specific UKVI IELTS test for degree level programmes. We therefore still accept any of the English tests listed for admission to this programme.
The University of Glasgow accepts evidence of the required language level from the English for Academic Study Unit Pre-sessional courses. We also consider other BALEAP accredited pre-sessional courses:
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- MVLS SESM