You should have at least a second-class honours degree or equivalent in biomedical science or a relevant subject. Alternative qualifications will also be considered on a case-by-case basis.
You are required to provide two references and a full degree transcript with your application.
Months of entry
Growing resistance to antibiotics poses a grave threat to human health and developing novel strategies to combat bacterial infections is one of this century’s most important scientific challenges. Microbiology at the Institute of Infection, Immunology and Inflammation is focused on a molecular understanding bacterial pathogenesis and utilising this to develop novel therapeutics for the treatment of bacterial infections. Through a specialism in microbiology, students will be able to pursue careers developing new medicines, tackling diseases and improving the environment. We have expertise in areas of both medical and veterinary microbiology covering a wide range of topics related to understanding the pathogenesis of infectious disease and the development of new and improved vaccines and therapeutics.
Why this programme?
- The University of Glasgow is ranked top 20 in the UK for Biological Sciences (Sunday Times 2018).
- Our scientists and clinicians have provided consultancy, contract research and collaborative research that has delivered research findings into real world solutions.
- This postgraduate degree in Infection Biology allows you to study in an institute housing two UK national centres of excellence in Virology and Parasitology, and active in the Scottish Infection Research Network (SlRN), a key clinical focus on healthcare-related research.
- You will work in the laboratories of internationally recognised infection biology researchers, conducting high quality basic, translational and clinical science.
- This MSc in Infection Biology provides access to a combination of highly specialised equipment, unique in Scotland, including cutting edge in vitro and in vivo research facilities for biological imaging, high content screening microscopy, and a state of the art polyomics facility bringing together metabolomics, proteomics, genomics, transcriptomics, and the integration of data sets with bioinformatics.
- You can attend guest lectures and workshops from scientists and clinicians working in the pharmaceutical, diagnostic and biotechnology fields.
- You can carry out a research project in an internationally recognised centre of excellence, working with world-leading researchers in infection biology.
- This MSc Infection Biology integrates infection biology with cutting edge molecular and cellular techniques, and offers breadth in covering bacteria, viruses and parasites.
- We have excellent opportunities to engage with industrial and clinical scientists, and with guest lecturers from the pharmaceutical industry, medical diagnostic laboratories and bioscience business.
- Students have the opportunity to carry out a research project in an internationally recognised centre of excellence, working with world-leading researchers in the field of infection biology.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions