You should have at least a Second-class Honours degree or equivalent in biomedical science or a relevant subject. Alternative qualifications will also be considered on a case-by-case basis.
You are required to provide two references and a full degree transcript with your application.
Months of entry
Parasites cause a wide variety of human and livestock diseases worldwide, with severe consequences in both developing and developed countries. This specialism will help you to develop your knowledge and understanding of parasitic behaviour and enable you to develop a career as a parasitologist. Global health issues involve diseases like malaria, sleeping sickness, bilharzia, river blindness and elephantiasis. These diseases are caused by parasites, which also have major impacts on animal health. Glasgow has internationally leading research and teaching capability in Parasitology and students can learn about how parasites infect their hosts, how hosts respond to infection and what we can do to combat parasitic disease.
Why this programme?
- The University of Glasgow is ranked first for Veterinary Medicine and third for Medicine in the UK (Complete University Guide 2019).
- The University of Glasgow provides an excellent environment for Parasitology research, housing the largest group of parasitologists in the UK, studying all aspects of parasitic disease from gene to population.
- The University of Glasgow is ranked top 20 in the UK for Biological Sciences (Sunday Times 2018).
- This postgraduate degree in Infection Biology allows you to study in an institute housing two UK national centres of excellence in Virology and Parasitology, and active in the Scottish Infection Research Network (SlRN), a key clinical focus on healthcare-related research.
- You will work in the laboratories of internationally recognised infection biology researchers, conducting high quality basic, translational and clinical science.
- This MSc in Infection Biology provides access to a combination of highly specialised equipment, unique in Scotland, including cutting edge in vitro and in vivo research facilities for biological imaging, high content screening microscopy, and a state of the art polyomics facility bringing together metabolomics, proteomics, genomics, transcriptomics, and the integration of data sets with bioinformatics.
- You can attend guest lectures and workshops from scientists and clinicians working in the pharmaceutical, diagnostic and biotechnology fields.
- You can carry out a research project in an internationally recognised centre of excellence, working with world-leading researchers in infection biology.
- This MSc Infection Biology integrates infection biology with cutting edge molecular and cellular techniques, and offers breadth in covering bacteria, viruses and parasites.
- We have excellent opportunities to engage with industrial and clinical scientists, and with guest lecturers from the pharmaceutical industry, medical diagnostic laboratories and bioscience business.
- Students have the opportunity to carry out a research project in an internationally recognised centre of excellence, working with world-leading researchers in the field of infection biology.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions