You should have at least a Second-class Honours degree or equivalent in biomedical science or a relevant subject. Alternative qualifications will also be considered on a case-by-case basis. You are required to provide two references and a full degree transcript with your application.
Months of entry
The taught Infection Biology MSc will help you to develop your knowledge and understanding of the molecular mechanisms by which bacteria, viruses and parasites cause disease in humans and in domesticated animals, and the immune responses generated as a result.
- Accredited by the Royal Society of Biology for the purpose of meeting, in part, the academic and experience requirement for the Membership and Chartered Biologist (CBiol).
- Study in an institute housing two UK national centres of excellence in Virology and Parasitology, and active in the Scottish Infection Research Network (SlRN), a key clinical focus on healthcare-related research.
- Work in the laboratories of internationally recognised infection biology researchers, conducting high quality basic, translational and clinical science.
- Access a combination of highly specialised equipment, unique in Scotland, including cutting edge in vitro and in vivo research facilities for biological imaging, high content screening microscopy, and a state of the art polyomics facility bringing together metabolomics, proteomics, genomics, transcriptomics, and the integration of data sets with bioinformatics.
- Attend guest lectures and workshops from scientists and clinicians working in the pharmaceutical, diagnostic and biotechnology fields.
- Carry out a research project in an internationally recognised centre of excellence, working with world-leading researchers in infection biology.
- Integrate infection biology with cutting edge molecular and cellular techniques, that offers breadth in covering bacteria, viruses and parasites.
- Engage with industrial and clinical scientists, and guest lecturers from the pharmaceutical industry, medical diagnostic laboratories and bioscience business.
You can choose to specialise in one of the following:
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions