An ordinary degree in any academic discipline. You should also have completed or be prepared to undertake a practice qualification: HNC, SVQ3, SVQ4 (in Children’s Care, Learning and Development or Playwork) or an equivalent professional qualification that allows you to register with a professional body (RCN/GTCs etc). If you do not meet these requirements but are currently working in a childcare setting and hold a degree, you can apply with the understanding that you must complete a practice qualification before graduation from the University. You will be expected to undertake placement based assignments. You will also be required to provide an employer’s reference.
Months of entry
This programme is designed for current and aspiring leaders and managers in childhood practice who have, or are willing, to undertake a practitioner qualification. It provides a practice-based examination of the theoretical approaches important to leadership and management within childhood practice.
- On successful completion of the programme you will meet the requirements of the Standard for Childhood Practice (Scottish Social Services Council, 2007).
- On successful completion of the diploma you will be given the opportunity to progress to masters and undertake the dissertation element.
- You will gain experience of relevant theoretical approaches which will develop an understanding of the leadership and management in childhood practice.
- The programme will also develop research, writing and professional skills which will enable practitioners to register with Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) at a manager level.
- You will review your own work experiences and use the findings to set your professional development targets within the programme.
Information for international students
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Nicola Prior