Entry requirements for postgraduate taught programmes are a 2.1 Honours degree or equivalent qualification (for example, GPA 3.0 or above) in a relevant subject unless otherwise specified.
Months of entry
This programme is the only programme in Scotland dedicated to children’s and young adult’s literature as a primary resource and a field of academic study. You will develop a specialisation that is highly valued in professions such as education, library services and children’s media.
- The programme gives you the opportunity to take a literary and critical stance to well-loved texts, as well as to contemporary authors whose texts push the boundaries of children’s literature.
- The programme takes into account new developments in the production of texts for children using multimodal forms and digital technologies.
- You will also discuss recent theories of language and literacy development and consider how they can be supported by traditional and multimodal texts for children.
- You can balance your study commitments with a full-time role, and tailor research projects to provide the maximum relevance and benefit for your work.
You will take five core courses, one optional course and produce a dissertation based on a specialised topic.
- Reframing language, literature and literacies for 21st century life
- Texts for children: from the printing press to virtual reality
- Introduction to educational and social research
- Modern educational thought
- Children's literature and literacies: critical enquiry
- Professional enquiry
- Texts for diversity: language across learning for children with English as an additional language
- Texts for children: visual and multimodal
- Further options may be drawn from courses offered on the MEd in Educational Studies.
Information for international students
General English language requirements IELTS 6.5 (with no subtest less than 6) iBT TOEFL 92 (with no less than 21 in Listening & writing, 22 in reading, 23 in speaking) Cambridge ESOL Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) - B minimum or Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) - C minimum
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Dr Evelyn Arizpe