You would normally be expected to hold a first degree or equivalent.
Months of entry
This programme gives you the opportunity to study the theoretical and practical dimensions of community learning and development (CLD). It will equip you with the skills and knowledge to work alongside people in communities to effect sustainable social change.
- If you want to discover ways in which you can help people realise their potential and work together for a fairer, healthier and happier world, this may be the programme for you.
- You will be awarded a professional qualification in Community Learning and Development upon successful completion of the PgDip accredited by the Community Learning and Development Standards Council in Scotland.
- This qualification will enable you to work in the field of CLD: including community development work, youth work, health, housing and social and economic regeneration.
- You will have the opportunity to participate in a network of community development projects. The people orchestrating these projects contribute to the taught aspects of the programme and also provide you with placement opportunities.
- Models of community & development
- Social theories for community learning & development
- Empowerment strategies for community learning & development
- Educational approaches to community learning & development
- Practice placement
- Research project (MEd only)
The practice placement gives you an opportunity to apply the theories and values you have learned and demonstrate your competence as a practitioner in a community learning development setting. You will plan, implement and evaluate practice and analyse it with regard to the theoretical aspects of the programme.
Information for international students
General English language requirements IELTS 6.5 (with no subtest less than 6) iBT TOEFL 92 (with no less than 21 in Listening & writing, 22 in reading, 23 in speaking) Cambridge ESOL Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) - B minimum or Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) - C minimum
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Mr Dave Beck