Applicants should be fully registered with the General Teaching Council, be at the top of the main grade and have maintained a CPD portfolio from at least August 2002. International students with academic qualifications below those required should contact our partner institution, Glasgow International College, who offer a range of foundation courses. Further information regarding academic entry requirements: firstname.lastname@example.org English language requirements For applicants whose first language is not English, the University sets a minimum English Language proficiency level. International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic module (not General Training): overall score 6.5 no sub-test less than 6.0 or equivalent scores in another recognised qualification (see below) Common equivalent English language qualifications: ibTOEFL: 92; no sub-test less than 20 CAE (Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English): B minimum CPE (Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English): C minimum PTE Academic (Person Test of English, Academic test): 60; no sub-test less than 59 Pre-sessional courses The University of Glasgow accepts evidence of the required language level from the Language Centre Pre-sessional courses. We also consider other BALEAP accredited pre-sessional courses: Language Centre, University of Glasgow BALEAP guide to accredited courses FAQs Visa requirements and proof of English language level It is a visa requirement to provide information on your level of English based on an internationally recognised and secure English language test. All test reports must be no more than 2 years old. A list of these can be found on the UK Border Agency website. If you have never taken one of these tests before, you can get an initial idea of your level by using the Common European Framework self-assessment grid which gives you a level for each skill (e.g. listening B1/writing B2 etc.) However, please note that this is not a secure English language test and it is not sufficient evidence of your level of English for visa requirements. If you require a Tier 4 student visa, your qualification must be one of the secure English language tests accepted by UK Border Agency: UK Border Agency Tier 4 English Language requirements UKBA list of approved English language tests [pdf] For further information about English language requirements, please contact the Recruitment and International Office: email@example.com
Months of entry
- If you are a teacher and looking to develop your understanding of teacher leadership and/or progress into the role of Principal Teacher (or Head of Department/Faculty), this programme is designed for you.
- You will benefit from a combination of academic and practice-focused learning to develop your capability to lead teaching and learning within your school (or Department/Faculty); particularly to achieve the ambitions of Curriculum for Excellence.
- There is a focus on collaborative, enquiry-orientated learning, drawing on your own experiences and those of your academic colleagues to bring about improvement.
- Your learning will be supported by an academic staff that plays a leading role in the area of career-long professional and leadership development in Scotland.
The MEd has three phases of study:
Years 1 & 2
An entry Postgraduate Certificate linked to participant’s professional experience, particularly experience in a promoted post:
- Teacher leadership
- Middle leadership and management
Two optional courses selected from one of the following areas of study:
- Middle leadership and management
- Leading professional learning
- Supporting pupil learning
- Futures and international perspectives
- Wider perspectives within educational studies
Years 4 & 5
Planning and designing a practitioner enquiry followed by practice-focused dissertation.
Information for international students
IELTS: overall score 6.5; no sub-test less than 6.0; ibTOEFL: 92; no sub-test less than 20. CAE: 176 overall; no sub-test less than 169 CPE: 176 overall; no sub-test less than 169. PTE Academic: 60; no sub-test less than 59
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Mike Carroll