- A 2.1 equivalent degree (GPA 3.0) in a relevant subject.
- Students with a 2.2 equivalent degree (GPA 2.7), but 2.1 equivalent marks in their maths and core theory subjects may be considered for entry.
The GPA listed above is the US System. Find out your country's equivalent GPA.
International students with academic qualifications below those required should contact our partner institution, Glasgow International College, who offer a range of pre-Masters courses.
Months of entry
Structural engineers ensure that buildings and infrastructure are safe to use and can resist natural and human made disasters. This MSc in Structural Engineering is ideal for those who have an engineering undergraduate degree and would like to specialise at Masters Level, providing you with a range of methods that will help you to analyse and design structures so that they are safe and durable. Skills acquired within this programme are desirable for a range of industries such civil, automotive, nuclear and aeronautical.
- The University of Glasgow has a long history of research in Civil Engineering. The UK's first Chair of Civil Engineering was established at the University in 1840 and early occupants such as William J. M. Rankine set a research ethos that has endured.
- Structural Engineering is one of the core strengths of civil engineering. Civil Engineering at Glasgow is ranked 3rd in the UK and 1st in Scotland (Complete University Guide 2019).
- The MSc programme in Structural Engineering is accredited by the Joint Board of Moderators (JBM) of the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE), Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE), Institute of Highway Engineers (IHE) and Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation (CIHT) as meeting the requirements for Further Learning for a Chartered Engineer (CEng) for candidates who have already acquired a partial CEng accredited first degree. Documentation and guidelines used by the JBM in the accreditation process can be found at: http://www.jbm.org.uk
- You will be taught by staff who are leading researchers in their fields. They will train you in the use of state of the art computational software (e.g. ABAQUS, ATENA, LS-DYNA) and design methods, which will be relevant to meet future challenges for the Structural Engineering industry and profession.
- This structural engineering programme will provide you with training to ensure that buildings and infrastructure are designed so that they are safe to use and can resist natural and human made disasters.
- You will undertake a significant Structural Design project working successfully in groups, which is a highly desirable skill within civil engineering industries.
- If you intend to pursue a career in this specialist area of civil and structural engineering, in design consultancies and elsewhere, or if you want to transfer from other engineering disciplines, this programme is designed for you. It provides the advanced education required for the structural engineers of tomorrow.
Information for international students
This one-year masters programme is eligible for a new, streamlined visa application process: find out more
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions