Entry requirements for postgraduate taught programmes are normally a 2.2 Honours degree or equivalent (eg GPA of 3.0 or above) in a relevant subject unless otherwise specified. Additionally, a sound understanding of programme relevant core engineering principles, such as mathematics and mechanics, is expected and must be demonstrated in a 2.1 or equivalent in core subject components from your Honours degree.
International students with academic qualifications below those required should contact our partner institution, Glasgow International College, who offer a range of pre-Masters courses.
Months of entry
The goal of structural engineering is to predict the performance of structures under extreme events. This Masters in Structural Engineering provides you with a range of methods to analyse and design structures with quantifiable reliability over their design life.
- If you intend to pursue a career in this specialist area of civil and structural engineering, in design consultancies and elsewhere, or if you want to transfer from other engineering disciplines, this programme is designed for you.
- This programme offers a curriculum that is relevant to the needs of industry, designed to provide the advanced education required for the structural engineers of tomorrow.
- The goal of structural engineering is to predict the performance of structures. This programme empowers future engineers with a range of methods to analyse and design structures with quantifiable reliability over their design life.
- The University of Glasgow’s School of Engineering has been delivering engineering education and research for more than 150 years and is the oldest School of Engineering in the UK.
Modes of delivery of the MSc in Structural Engineering include lectures, seminars, tutorials, a group design project and individual projects.
- Advanced structural analysis and dynamics
- Applied engineering mechanics
- Computational modelling of nonlinear problems
- Structural concrete
- Structural design
- Advanced soil mechanics
- Structural engineering preliminary research project
- Structural engineering review project
- Structural design project
MSc students undertake an additional individual project.
This is a new programme which will be delivered the first time in 2016/17. However, it is a continuation of a former Structural Engineering and Mechanics MSc programme. Graduates from the former Structural Engineering and Mechanics programme have gone on to positions such as:
- Graduate Structural Engineer at Wood Group PSN
- Research Fellow at Fraunhofer Institute High Speed Dynamics
- Graduate Structural Engineer at Wood Group
- Graduate Structural Engineer at Design ID
- Structure Engineer at Fujian United Benefit Broad Sustainable Building Technology
- Structural Engineer-Subsea at a structural engineering company
- Real Estate Assistant at Icade
- Graduate Structure Engineer at P2ML
- Graduate Engineer at Technip
- Civil Engineering Technical Engineer at Hongrun Construction Corporation
- Subsea Project Engineer at Halliburton
- Bid and Building Engineer at Jingzhen Construction and Supervision Co.
- Graduate Engineer at Reinertsen.
Information for international students
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions Team