Normally an Honours degree in a relevant field such as geography, earth or environmental science, planning, mathematics, or civil engineering, but other subjects will be considered. The programme requires some basic mathematical competence and a pass at Scottish Higher, GCE or equivalent in mathematics is recommended. Significant use is made of computers and IT, but there is no specific entry requirement.
Entry without standard academic qualifications, or with technical qualifications in geomatics for those with significant practical experience in related employment, will be considered on an individual basis.
International students with academic qualifications below those required should contact our partner institution, Glasgow International College, who offer a range of pre-Masters courses.
Months of entry
This Masters in Geoinformation Technology & Cartography focuses on understanding and managing the locational data required to use Geographic Information Systems (GIS) together with visualisation and map production in a GIS environment. It is the only programme in the UK to have a significant emphasis on cartography; and our focus on the underpinning geomatics aspects and cartographic output is unique among GIS programmes.
- Our School of Geographical and Earth Sciences is consistently ranked amongst the top 10 in the UK and top 5 in Scotland, recently achieving 1st in Scotland and 4th in the UK (Complete University Guide 2019).
- This is the only programme in the UK that focuses on cartography. The programme has been running since 1963 and celebrated its 50th birthday in 2013.
- This programme is accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors(RICS), when fully completed with the award of an MSc.
- If you are seeking a career in geographic information management or cartography and have little or no academic background in this subject: or if you have a technical/practical background in the subject and are seeking an academic qualification; this programme is designed for you.
- The MSc in Geoinformation Technology and Cartography is a one-year Masters programme aimed at those seeking a career in Geographic Information management or cartography. The focus of the course is on understanding and managing the locational data underpinning Geographic Information Systems (GIS), visualisation and map production in a GIS environment.
- You will benefit from access to our extensive computer laboratories and the latest software, including ArcGIS and MapInfo for GIS, graphic design packages and remote sensing processing software.
- You will attend the three-day GIS Research UK conference as part of the programme (included in fees).
Information for international students
This one-year masters programme is eligible for a new, streamlined visa application process: find out more
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Further details of qualification
This Masters in Geoinformation Technology & Cartography focuses on understanding and managing the locational data required to use Geographic Information Systems (GIS) together with visualisation and map production in a GIS environment. Our focus on the underpinning geomatics aspects and cartographic output is unique among GIS programmes.
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions