You should be a healthcare professional with a degree in a healthcare discipline and should have access to a health professions teaching environment. You are required to provide two references and a full degree transcript with your application. Further information regarding academic entry requirements: email@example.com
Months of entry
Together, these online distance learning programmes offer maximum flexibility to busy health professionals who want to learn about theoretical and practical aspects of learning, teaching and assessment, and apply them in the context of their professional practice. The programmes share a common first year curriculum, with 1 x 20-credit course per semester. Thereafter, students may focus to a greater or lesser extent on various topics in health professions education, selecting from a menu of optional 10-credit courses. The MSc HPE programme is designed for those who primarily identify themselves as practitioners and who want to apply educational theory and an evidence base to their specific health professions education context. The MSc HPE (with Research) programme is appropriate for those with a particular interest in learning about the design, conduct and governance of education research.
· The programme is delivered primarily by staff in the School of Medicine at the University of Glasgow, including staff with key roles in the undergraduate Medical School, the Dental School and the School of Nursing & Healthcare.
· We are well-placed to offer the benefit of our collective experience in undergraduate health professions education.
· Our close links with the National Health Service (NHS) Education Scotland, the postgraduate deanery, the Royal Colleges, and our respective regulatory bodies, make us well-placed to help you learn about education in the postgraduate environment.
Available as a part-time, online distance learning (ODL) programme. Media may include Moodle, Big-Blue-Button, Google Hangouts, and Articulate Storyline
For the MSc HPE and the MSc HPE (with Research), each 180-credit programme is delivered over 3 years:
3 x compulsory, 20-credit courses; 1 per semester
6 x 10-credit courses, 2 per semester
· Choose from a menu of options; the table below gives indicative content;
· Note that some courses are compulsory for students following the programme 'with Research'.
1 x 60-credit project-based course assessed by a dissertation of 10,000 words, excluding appendices.
The project work and write-up are spread across 3 semesters.
On the MSc HPE programme, the dissertation will require a systematic review, synthesis and critique of the literature, to produce a policy document, a set of practitioner guidelines, or a new theoretical model.
On the MSc HPE (with Research), the dissertation will be a standard report of empirical research, incorporating a critical literature review, methodology, analysis and interpretation of findings, and conclusions drawn.
· Applicants will not need to commit to a specific programme until the beginning of Year 2. Indeed, all applicants will initially be registered on the MSc HPE programme, with the option to switch to the ‘with Research’ variant.
· Summative assessment varies amongst courses, but includes coursework; quality contributions to online activities; a blog; online presentations; and the dissertation.
· We will additionally offer an optional, non-assessed residential activity, which current or prospective students may attend. This will help establish a cohort identity and will provide a showcase for masters’ students to present their work.
· Selected 10- or 20- credit courses are available as stand-alone, credit bearing options.
The programme is made up of the following courses
- Principles of health-professions education
- Research, management and the individual
- Dissertation (10,000 - 15,000 words)
- Thesis (50,000 words).
The Professional Doctorate in Health-professions Education (DHPE) prepares individuals for roles of leadership in research and senior management in the health-care professions. The programme is appropriate for health-care professionals who are ambitious for an influential role, at a senior level, in the management and delivery of education in either undergraduate or postgraduate phases. This is most appropriate for early or mid-career practitioners who wish to significantly enhance their comprehension of education within a professional context.
Information for international students
IELTS 6.5 (with no subtest less than 6) iBT TOEFL 92 (with no less than 21 in Listening & writing, 22 in reading, 23 in speaking) Cambridge ESOL Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) - B minimum or Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) - C minimum
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Dr Susan Jamieson