2.1 Honours degree or non-UK equivalent (e.g. a GPA of 3.0 or above) in politics, law or related social science subject. We will consider applications from graduates from other fields, but the applicant should submit a statement indicating why they are interested in changing fields or the connection to their previous study. We will also take relevant work experience into account.
Months of entry
This ESRC-recognised research-training programme gives you a broad and rigorous grounding in the study and methodologies of one of the most salient and pressing issues in the contemporary world: the place of individual human rights in a system of international relations in which states' rights have traditionally been paramount.
- If you want to pursue a research-intensive career or doctoral studies, including under the ESRC 1+3 scheme, then this ESRC-recognised research-training programme is designed for you.
- The programme draws on recognised expertise in international institutions, security, gender, political philosophy, theories of rights, and ethics and normative theory, as well as a wide variety of country and regional expertise.
- The programme covers the same subject-specific material as the MSc in Human Rights & International Politics and provides additional advanced training in social research methods – ideal if you wish to pursue a PhD or a career in social research.
- You will be offered the opportunity to participate in a 5-day study trip to Geneva to visit the UN and non-governmental human rights organisations.
- You will benefit from access to a number of organisations within and beyond the University, including the Glasgow Human Rights Network; The Glasgow Refugee, Asylum & Migration Network; The Glasgow Centre for International Development; and the annual International Human Rights Documentary Film Festival.
- The degree is genuinely interdisciplinary in content and structure, and is designed to ensure that you will encounter both legal and political perspectives. You can choose to focus on one domain more than the other.
Information for international students
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Katherine Allison