2.1 Honours degree or non-UK equivalent (e.g. a GPA of 3.0 or above) in a relevant social science or humanities subject. Applicants from other subject backgrounds, however, will be considered.
Months of entry
The programme offers ESRC accredited training in language-based area studies, as well as advanced training in qualitative and quantitative methods, specialised area studies research training, and language training in one of the region's languages.
Why this programme
- The programme is intended for those who wish to pursue a research-based career in the region, with or without the completion of a PhD.
- Annual scholarships are available for the language-based area studies pathways on a 2+3 (MRes + intensive language training to advanced level + PhD), 1+3 (MRes or intensive language training to advanced level + PhD) and +3 (PhD only) models, depending on your prior qualifications.
- The University Library holds one of the best Russian, Central and East European collections in the world.
- We have active postgraduate training links with thirteen overseas partner institutions in eleven countries. They visit to provide research master classes and participate in seminars.
You will take five core courses and submit a 12,000-15,000 word dissertation.
- Language (Czech, Hungarian, Polish, Russian)
- Qualitative methods for social scientists
- Quantitative data analysis
- Research design.
Note: Some languages and courses might not be available every year. You may also be able to choose from courses in the other subjects in the School of Social & Political Sciences. Language training is offered over a range of levels from beginners to advanced. If you are a native speaker or have a degree in one of the region’s languages, you will take an additional course instead.
Many of our graduates have gone on to establish careers as lecturers and researchers at universities in the UK, Norway, Greece, Italy and Poland or have become secondary school teachers. Some have also gone on to pursue research and policy-making careers with government, business and international organisations.
Information for international students
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Clair Clarke