Entry requirements for postgraduate taught programmes are a 2.1 Honours degree or equivalent qualification (for example, GPA 3.0 or above) in a relevant subject unless otherwise specified.
Months of entry
This is an intensive programme for graduates in other subjects who already possess basic proficiency in Russian but require a more thorough grounding in the language specifically for the purpose of conducting social scientific research dealing with Russia and/or the Commonwealth of Independent States.
- You will undertake a period of study abroad at a partner institution where Russian is spoken.
- Suitable for graduates in other subjects who already possess basic proficiency in Russian.
This programme combines classroom and distance tuition in intermediate-level Russian language over two semesters. Students are also ordinarily expected to undertake a designated period of study abroad at a partner institution in the Russian Federation or another country where Russian is spoken.
You will acquire sufficient linguistic knowledge and translating skills to be able to read and retrieve information from a variety of texts in the original language, including those related to social sciences, and to deepen your existing knowledge of Russian realia.
The programme comprises four discrete elements or blocks, imparting grammar, reading, translation and oral skills
- Classroom teaching at Glasgow
- Online live communication with teacher
- Interactive activities, exercises and tests placed on the programme Moodle site
- Intensive teaching block at the partner institution abroad in Semester 2
Students who have completed the programme have gone into teaching, commerce, financial services, translating, postgraduate study and other occupations.
Information for international students
For applicants whose first language is not English, the University sets a minimum English Language proficiency level.
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic module (not General Training)
- overall score 6.5
- no sub-test less than 6.0
- or equivalent scores in another recognised qualification:
Common equivalent English language qualifications
All stated English tests are acceptable for admission for both home/EU and international students for this programme:
- ibTOEFL: 90; no sub-test less than:
- Reading: 20
- Listening: 19
- Speaking: 19
- Writing: 23
- CAE (Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English): 176 overall; no sub-test less than 169
- CPE (Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English): 176 overall; no sub-test less than 169
- PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English, Academic test): 60; no sub-test less than 59
- Trinity College London Integrated Skills in English: ISEII at Distinction with Distinction in all sub-tests
For international students, the Home Office has confirmed that the University can choose to use these tests to make its own assessment of English language ability for visa applications to degree level programmes. The University is also able to accept an IELTS test (Academic module) from any of the 1000 IELTS test centres from around the world and we do not require a specific UKVI IELTS test for degree level programmes. We therefore still accept any of the English tests listed for admission to this programme.
The University of Glasgow accepts evidence of the required language level from the English for Academic Study Unit Pre-sessional courses. We also consider other BALEAP accredited pre-sessional courses:
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Dr Shamil Khairov