Entry requirements for postgraduate taught programmes are a 2.1 Honours degree or equivalent qualification (for example, GPA 3.0 or above) in a relevant subject unless otherwise specified.
Months of entry
This is an intensive programme in Russian language for graduates in other subjects who would find a thorough knowledge of Russian an asset in their chosen field.
- During 2012–2016 students going abroad under the programme will be eligible to apply for partial financial support in the form of competitive bursaries offered by the University’s Centre for Russian, Central and East European Studies (CRCEES).
- The programme caters for those who have no prior knowledge of the language. You will undertake a period of study abroad at a partner institution where Russian is spoken.
This programme is designed as preparation for employment related to Russia or the Russian-speaking countries of the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS); or research activities in history, sociology, politics and economy that deal with Russia and CIS-related themes. Students who intend to work in Russia or need Russian in relation to their work will receive appropriate provision of language in connection with their specific area-based knowledge.
The programme combines classroom and distance tuition in intermediate-level Russian language over two semesters. Students are also ordinarily expected to undertake a designated period of study abroad at a partner institution in the Russian Federation or another country where Russian is spoken.
The programme comprises four discrete elements or blocks, imparting grammar, reading, translation and oral skills
- Classroom teaching at Glasgow
- Online live communication with teacher
- Interactive activities, exercises and tests placed on the programme Moodle site
- Intensive teaching block at the partner institution abroad in Semester 2
Information for international students
IELTS: overall score 6.5; no sub-test less than 6.0; ibTOEFL: 92; no sub-test less than 20. CAE: 176 overall; no sub-test less than 169 CPE: 176 overall; no sub-test less than 169. PTE Academic: 60; no sub-test less than 59
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Dr Shamil Khairov