- All research students who have not already completed a relevant masters degree, or other appropriate postgraduate research methods training, are required to complete the postgraduate certificate in research methods
- An honours degree of upper second class or above from a UK university, or an equivalent qualification, is normally required in a subject area relevant to your chosen research topic
- In exceptional circumstances, we will consider applications from non-graduates with experience of undertaking research or graduates who wish to work in a new subject area
- Registration is usually for MPhil or MRes or MA/MSc by Research with the possibility of transfer to PhD
- Candidates with a master’s degree in a relevant subject that contains appropriate research methods training may register for a PhD directly.
Months of entry
Join a research community with an excellent international reputation. Hubs of sustainability research activity are found in the School of Natural and Social Sciences (NSS), the Countryside and Community Research Institute (CCRI) and the International Research Into Sustainability (IRIS). Develop high-level knowledge and skills through your research with supervision from our internationally active and respected team of researchers. Specialisms include leadership and governance, change management, community development, consumer and lifestyle choices, the ecosystem approach, science and communication strategies, monitoring and evaluation, policy, consultancy, as well as education and learning.
Make a contribution to knowledge and change in sustainability across the globe through the contacts and research projects we have with global organisations. Much of this research focuses on people’s responses to sustainability, particularly in relation to engagement and professional responsibilities. Science and technology can assist in defining problems and identifying solutions but ultimately changes towards sustainability are dependent on people’s decisions, choices and actions.
Develop advanced skills in participatory enquiry, critical action research and other innovative methodologies, to make real change towards sustainability. Learn through seminars, workshops, projects and lectures with peers.
Qualification and course duration
MA by research
Course contact details
- Enquiries Team
- +44 (0) 3330 141414