- You will need at least a 2.2 honours degree or equivalent in psychology.
- You should be eligible for Graduate Basis for Chartered membership of the BPS.
- Applicants for this course will be invited to attend an interview to assess suitability.
- A strong academic reference.
- EU and international students need IELTS 6.0 overall (with a minimum of 5.5 in each component) or equivalent.
You will be expected to undertake some relevant experience before starting the course - for instance in a volunteer capacity or shadowing a professional in a forensic-related setting. Advice on suitable options can be available on request should you be invited for interview.
Months of entry
This degree underpins your practice with a sound appreciation of academic research evidence and understanding of the forensic psychologist’s role in investigative and legal processes, as well as the assessment and treatment of offenders.
The programme has a distinctive and strong applied focus and centres around core areas of expertise. One particular focus is on issues surrounding the commission, detection and prosecution of sexual offences, and the management of offenders.
Another focus is on how the forensic practitioner obtains best information and evidence via investigative interviewing, the detection of deception, and special procedures to assist vulnerable witnesses. As you develop your understanding, you’ll learn how to engage in the reflective practice that’s essential to maintaining professional competence and integrity. You’ll explore the ethical, legal, professional and personal dilemmas that can arise in professional practice within forensic settings.
In line with our applied focus, assignments are designed to model aspects of a professional forensic psychologist’s workload. The course is accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS), covering the core areas demanded of Stage 1 registration.
Fees and funding
Learn more at our postgraduate fees, loans and finance page.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- +44 (0) 3330 141414