- A master’s degree or equivalent in a subject area relevant to the proposed research topic
- A minimum of two years’ post-qualification professional practice and ability to demonstrate professional competence to a high standard in the relevant research area
- EU and international students need IELTS 6.5 overall (with a minimum of 6.0 in writing and 5.5 in any other component) or equivalent
- All students are required to take and complete a Postgraduate Certificate in Research Methods to support the development of their project and their education as researchers.
Months of entry
You will develop advanced skills in critical thinking and you can engage with a wide range of topics, for example those based on applied sport performance, clinical practice, health promotion, applied sports coaching and community engagement. The programme provides a focus for ‘embedded scholarship’ within a range of sport and exercise professions. You will attain the standards required of any doctorate and produce a substantial and original study that identifies you as an independent researcher.
The DSE is a structured route to doctoral level achievement. The initial pre-thesis element comprises two taught modules over a period of 18 months, after which you present your formal research plan. Having completed your research project, you submit and defend a thesis in a viva voce. Linked to the real-world relevance and original nature of the project, the DSE provides an understanding of issues in the sport and exercise professions that it is difficult to attain through other means. Compared with a more traditional PhD, the DSE provides you with a vocational and professional doctorate, well suited to your needs and those of your industry.
DSE cohorts are limited to 8–20 participants, to preserve the quality of the taught experience in a collaborative and supportive learning environment.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time48 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- 03330 141414