Applicants should have: A good honours degree Qualifications and experience appropriate to their specialist area sufficient to make them credible contenders for appointment to the higher education sector. AND a guaranteed minimum of 60 hours teaching in HE (level 4-7) during the period of registration. Applicants who wish to have their teaching qualification recorded by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) will need: • A current entry on an appropriate part of the NMC register • Three years full-time experience (or equivalent part-time experience) in relevant professional practice • Professional knowledge at least to first degree level before commencing the programme.
Months of entry
The programme is offered in online blended mode and is part time.
The programme is suitable for:
- People already employed in higher education (HE) who need to gain a teaching qualification that allows them to register with the Higher Education Academy/Nursing and Midwifery Council
- Suitably qualified people who would like to teach in HE but are not yet employed in the sector.
The programme uses a variety of web 2.0 tools, including Moodle, to provide a socially interactive and engaging experience. This includes learning materials, resources, activities and opportunities for sharing and interaction both in study groups and across the programme cohort. The programme includes an induction day in September, three compulsory study days per academic year, normally on Saturday, webinars and teaching practice assessments. Participants are supported by the programme team and their peers, the online course tutor, personal tutors, and mentors.
Those successful on this programme can join the MA Education. NMC qualified participants can proceed to the MSc in Advanced Practice (for Healthcare Practitioners).
The programme covers the following topics: Learning Theories and their Application; Critical Reflection; Inclusivity and Diversity; Assessment and Feedback; Student Experience and Engagement; Teaching Strategies; Learning Environments; Learning and Assessment Design; Technology Enhanced Teaching and Learning Design; Quality Assurance and Enhancement; Curriculum Evaluation; Teaching and Learning in Inter-professional Settings (NMC); Evidence-based Practice; Professionalism.
The aims of the programme are:
- To enable participants to design and implement effective courses and individual teaching and learning episodes
- To develop participants' facilitative, reflective and evaluative skills for teaching and learning
- To provide the opportunity and impetus for participants to advance their own professional development as part of a community of scholars and professionals
- Learning, Teaching and Assessing (Level 7)
- Learning Design and Evaluation (Level 7)
- Professional Development in Higher Education (HEA) (Level 6) OR Professional Development in HE (NMC teacher) (Level 6)
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- 020 8331 9000