Applicants should have: A 2.2 or above in an honours degree in a relevant subject PLUS GCSE English language and mathematics at grade C or above, or a recognised equivalent. • Applicants must also attend an interview and bring with them a portfolio of work which demonstrates their breadth of subject knowledge • Pre-entry skills tests in numeracy and literacy must be passed before beginning the programme. For more information see: www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching • A Disclosure and Barring Service check and an occupational health screening is necessary for all applicants • It is recommended that applicants spend some time observing in a secondary school before interview.
Months of entry
We are looking for creative and dynamic individuals who can motivate young people. Technology is constantly changing and you need to be able to adapt and learn new skills then use these to innovate in the classroom.
This programme is designed for those candidates who have a degree which involves significant subject knowledge related to design and technology.
The programme comprises two elements: subject and professional training (60 days) and school-based experience (120 days). The latter is spent mainly in two contrasting secondary schools although a small number of days during term 2 could be spent working in alternative educational provision contexts. Both the postgraduate and professional certificate enable students to gain an academic qualification (PGCE) and Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
While on the programme we will provide you with valuable subject knowledge sessions which will compliment your own individualised learning plan. You will work in cross subject professional studies groups and learn how to teach your chosen subject in a school context. We have a specialist workshop, design studios and computer suites. We have a wide variety of CAD/CAM and high-tech equipment which is used in project work to develop valuable skills in demand by schools.
The aims of the programme are:
- To support you in becoming a confident, competent, creative and effective teacher of Design and Technology in secondary school
- To develop your practical knowledge and theoretical understanding to successfully work with secondary school children
- Enable you to continue your professional development in order that you can become an innovator capable of active involvement in the future evolution of the subject.
- Subject Knowledge and Pedagogy 1 and 2 (60 credits)
- Professional Studies and School-based Research (45 credits)
- School Experience (30 credits)
- Professional E-Portfolio (30 credits)
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- 020 8331 9000