Applicants should have: A good honours degree (2.2 or above) from a UK university or an equivalent qualification in a relevant subject • Candidates must attend an interview • Pre-entry skills tests in numeracy and literacy should be passed before beginning the programme. For more information see: www.education. gov.uk/get-into-teaching/ • Candidates undergo a Disclosure and Barring Service check and an occupational health screening. • It is recommended that applicants spend some time observing in a secondary school before interview.
Months of entry
This programme is aimed at students with an interest and background in physics, or a physics related discipline (engineering, medical imaging etc) with sound mathematical skills and a desire/passion to communicate their subject and stimulate pupils from diverse backgrounds into studying mathematics and physics to higher levels/careers.
Mathematics and physics teachers are both in short supply, with the ability to teach both physics and mathematics being a highly attractive prospect. This programme is designed to prepare student teachers to become professional, creative, competent and reflective secondary school teachers of physics, with mathematics as a subsidiary subject. Students following this programme will have the opportunity to gain 60 Masters level credits as part of their PGCE and gain Qualified Teacher Status.
The programme contains university-based workshops, two school placements and online materials to develop subject knowledge and pedagogy.
The aims of the programme are:
- To develop physics and maths subject knowledge and pedagogy to ensure creative, confident, reflective and professional teachers of maths and physics
- To address the needs of pupils aged 11 to 16 (supplemented by post-16 teaching) in secondary physics and mathematics
- To consider, appreciate and address the relationship between mathematics and physics education, using research to inform practice in both disciplines.
- Subject Knowledge and Pedagogy 1 and 2 (60 credits)
- Professional Studies and School Based Research (45 credits)
- School Experience (30 credits)
- Professional E-Portfolio (30 credits)
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- 020 8331 9000