Applicants should have: An Honours degree and extensive mental health practice AND current registration with the NMC as a Mental Health Nurse AND be endorsed by their employer and supported by their clinical or line manager AND demonstrate evidence of study, professional development and motivation to progress in the past 5 years.
Months of entry
This programme is intended for NMC registered Mental Health Nurses who are working within the field of mental health. The programme has been developed in order to facilitate advanced scholarship and practice in response to political and professional imperatives and local stakeholder demand. The programme offers a nursing specific post graduate award of 60 credits, in order to enhance clinical and academic leadership in mental health nursing. Specifically, students will study diverse discourses about mental health practice and nursing in particular. Knowledge frameworks, evidence and values based approaches, care and compassion, leadership, and the development of self and others will be addressed and students will learn how to integrate clinical expertise and research in order to develop practice and enhance patient outcomes in within a specific clinical area. The programme is delivered over two terms in one academic year and includes one compulsory course, Clinical and Academic Leadership in Mental Health Nursing. The additional credits can be obtained by completion of a Portfolio of Innovative Practice to evidence their experience or by studying further courses in Recovery and Advanced Assessing.
The aims of the programme are:
- To provide qualified mental health nurses with a post graduate award in nursing
- To develop expert knowledge and comprehension of mental health in order to advance the quality of practice and enhance outcomes for people using mental health services
- To equip mental health nurses with the clinical and academic leadership skills required to meet the changing needs of the profession at an advanced level and prepare students to undertake further postgraduate study.
- Clinical and Academic Leadership in Mental Health Nursing (30 credits)
- Portfolio of Innovative Practice (15 or 30 credits)
- Recovery in Mental Health (15 credits)
- Advanced Assessing In Mental Health (15 credits)
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- 020 8331 9000