Applicants must have: A good degree (Minimum 2:2, lower second class Honours) in a humanities or social science degree. PLUS a years voluntary experience within the children, families or young people’s sector • Applicants will be expected to attend an interview.
Months of entry
This programme is aimed at graduates who want to work with children, families and young people in either the statutory or third sector. It provides new and existing practitioners an opportunity to critically examine the theory and practice of informal education which relies on establishing voluntary participation, takes place in groups and is focussed on the personal development of young people and communities in the context of wider social networks and collective engagement with issues of social justice.
The programme provides the opportunity to gain practical experience of working within the children, families and young people’s sector as all students undertake practice placements.
The programme will give you the skills to work with young people and communities to develop effective communication and engagement, child and person development, safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the child, supporting transitions, multi-agency working and sharing information.
The aims of the programme are:
- To provide a programme of learning which equips students with the theoretical knowledge, skills and practical experience to ensure as graduates they are ready to respond to the challenges and demands of the children, families and young people’s sector.
- To provide a practice based experience through placements enabling students to gain practice experience of leadership and management whilst providing the opportunity to create employment networks and job opportunities on completion of the programme.
- To provide a programme of learning that is critical, evaluative and reflective which provides graduates with a clear understanding of the relationship between personal, professional, ethical and legal boundaries within youth and community work.
- Principles and Practices of Youth and Community Work (30 credits)
- The Professional Practice of Youth and Community Work (30 credits)
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- 020 8331 9000