- University Bachelor in a social science (e.g., Psychology, Sociology, Pedagogics/Educational sciences) - Sufficient qualifications in statistics and the sciences that are relevant for the programme and a suitable attitude, motivation and talent. We strongly advise you to take the diagnostic test in statistics before you apply for our programme (visit our website) - Non-native speakers must prove sufficient knowledge of the English language (a TOEFL score of 600 or higher, or an IELTS score of 7.0 or higher). - Candidates must arrange for two references/letters of recommendation from academic referees who have detailed knowledge of their academic record. - Motivation letter (1 to 2 pages): listing your motivation to study the Research Master, relevant study or work experience and any other information which you think is related to your admission such as thesis proposals, areas of particular interest and/or professional qualifications in social and behavioural sciences.
Months of entry
Are you a talented student in the Behavioural and Social Sciences, wishing to pursue a career as an academic researcher? This Research Master's programme introduces you to the craft of scientific research.
The two years Research Master's programme prepares you for a career in science and is part of the Graduate School of Behavioural and Social Sciences. The degree focuses on theory-guided analysis of empirical data and generalizable explanations of both human behaviour and social phenomena. As a student of this programme, you will specialize in one of the following areas:
- Social and Organizational Psychology
- Clinical Psychology and Clinical Neuropsychology
- Education and Development
- Psychometrics and Statistics
With your supervisor, you will determine the focus of your programme to suit your ambitions, talents and interests. The two-year degree includes a traineeship and a Master's thesis project. You may extend this Master's thesis project to a proposal for a PhD programme. The Research Master also includes a general course that provides an overview of research within the Graduate School of Behavioural and Social Sciences.
Website of the programme: http://www.rug.nl/masters/behavioural-and-social-sciences-research
After the study: This Master's degree qualifies students to conduct fundamental and applied scientific research in the behavioural and social sciences. Holders of this masterdegree are well equipped for further study and training for a PhD thesis, and for employment in the public or private sector. The faculty of Behavioural and Social Sciences aims to open a number of PhD tracks for the most talented Research Master's students.
As a student of this research master programme Behavioural and Social Sciences of the Faculty Behavioural and Social Sciences, you will specialize in one of the following research areas: - Social and Organizational Psychology - Clinical Psychology and Clinical Neuropsychology - Sociology - Education and Development - Psychometrics and Statistics
Information for international students
How to apply for international students: http://www.rug.nl/education/international-students/application-procedure/
Fees and funding
Grantfinder University of Groningen: http://www.rug.nl/education/international-students/financial-matters/grant-finder
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- MSc by research
- full time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Admission office