Please visit here for current details on admissions requirements.
Months of entry
Human rights are universal, yet are not recognized everywhere, nor interpreted the same in all countries. In some cases, this can leave victims and their lawyers in a situation where they must choose which forum to go to or which human rights legislative system to navigate in order to find their justice. In this one year International Human Rights Law LLM programme, you will be trained in human rights at the international level, but also in international humanitarian law and other related fields. You will learn about different human rights systems and how they are interpreted within these systems and within different countries. Our mission in teaching not only focuses on conveying specialised knowledge, but also on enhancing students’ academic research skills as well as oral and written presentation skills. This should prepare students for any type of future career in an international legal environment related to international human rights, such as in the United Nations and other international and non-governmental organisations. Further, students will study in a truly international environment, in a very lively town which is extremely popular among students.
Information for international students
Programme is taught entirely in English, as such candidates whose native language is not English must provide adequate evidence of proficiency in English. We accept the following tests:
- (International) internet TOEFL (to be sent in through our institutional code 7191): score of at least 92, all sections sufficient (so at least 21 on each section and at least 23 on the writing section);
- (Academic) IELTS Academic (British Council’s English Language Test): score of at least 6.5, all sections sufficient (so at least 6.0 on each section and at least 6.5 on the writing section);
- CPE, Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English;
- CAE, Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English.
Fees and funding
Please visit the University of Groningen Grantfinder.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- LLM by research
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- +31 50 363 9111