An academic Bachelor's degree in one of the following fields:
- Biology or Life Science and Technology, majoring in Molecular Life Sciences or Biomedical Sciences
- Biology, including the specialization Molecular Biology or Biotechnology or the specialisation Medical Biology (incl. completed courses on General Chemistry and Bioinformatics)
- Chemistry, including the specialisation Biochemistry or Biophysical Chemistry
- Life Science and Technology, with the specialisation Genomics and Proteomics or Molecular Medical Cell Biology.
Months of entry
November, September, February
Are you interested in unraveling essential processes in living cells in order to understand 'life' at a molecular level? Would you like to use biomolecular sciences and know-how to solve fundamental medical questions or develop biobased industrial applications?
Molecular Biology and Biotechnology are internationally-oriented research and business areas that profit from a strong multidisciplinary know-how on genetics, microbiology, molecular cell biology, structural biology, biochemistry, and systems biology. During this programme, you will acquire in-depth knowledge and skills via upper level theoretical and practical training. You will become highly competent in the fields of Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, and Biotechnology, with excellent perspectives for an independent career in an academic, medical or industrial research environment, or as a scientific consultant for the public or private sector.
The programme is organized by the Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute (GBB) and teaching is, thus, closely related to the research performed at this Institute. Research is fundamental and curiosity-driven and contains specializations in the following areas:
- Molecular Genetics and Molecular Microbiology
- Molecular Cell Biology of Complex Biological Processes
- Molecular and Computational Systems Biology
- Membrane Proteins
- Structure-function Relationships of Proteins
- Microbial Biotechnology and Biocatalysis
- Chemical and Synthetic Biology
Information for international students
English proficiency on VWO level is required.
Fees and funding
Check our Grantfinder for funding opportunities.
Qualification and course duration
MSc by research
Course contact details