The normal entry requirements for the MSc Midwifery course are:
- NMC Registration (Part 1 of NMC register: Adult Branch)
- First degree at honours level normally minimum 2ii - typically from a nursing course leading to registration as an adult branch nurse. Alternative routes will be considered on an individual basis.
- Applicants who do not have a first degree at honours level will need to demonstrate equivalent professional or other development to this standard, usually 60 credits at level 6 to include a module on research methods
All applicants need to have completed 10 years general school education before the start of the MMid Midwifery course.
Months of entry
The Mmid Midwifery course is an innovative and exciting work-based course for qualified nurses (adult branch) who want to gain midwifery skills at Master’s level.The course has an emphasis on normality and midwifery topics which consider holistic approaches to care in partnership with women.
We are one of the first University's in the country to offer an MMid Midwifery at pre-registration level.
You will learn from the best as our Midwifery team has won the prestigious Royal College of Midwives Annual Award for Excellence in Midwifery Education in January 2012. This success is due to the expertise of our staff and the content of our course which gives students the opportunity to combine theory with practice through the practice placements.
The aim of the MMid Midwifery course is to:
- prepare you for entry to the Midwife’s aspect of the Nursing and Midwifery Council's (NMC) Professional Register, in accordance with the professional and statutory requirements
- make you a committed midwife that contributes to the enhancement of health and social care through inter-professional collaboration
- develop skills that make you become a responsive, confident midwife who at the point of registration is competent to practice in a variety of settings
- develop transferable communication skills to enhance critical decision making and to use appropriate information technology
- give you the skills to become a midwife that is safe, effective and competent in caring for women experiencing normal childbirth recognising the need for appropriate referral to other health professionals
- enable you to act as an advocate and facilitator of change using an evidence-based approach in theory and practice
Information for international students
All students from non-majority English speaking countries require proof of English language proficiency with an overall IELTS score of at least 7.0 in the listening and reading sections, at least 7.0 in the writing and speaking sections, and an overall average score of at least 7.0.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time18 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- +44 (0)1707 284800