The equivalent of a UK upper second class honours degree (2:1) in a field related to Language, English or Education.
Months of entry
The MA in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) at the University of Hertfordshire is a one year programme for graduates in English, with little or no teaching experience who want an initial preparation course in English Language Teaching at post-graduate level.
The programme gives an in-depth introduction to the teaching of English and provides a strong practical foundation for future development. A practical teaching element is a central feature of the programme; students will participate in practice teaching sessions throughout their study period. It is a twelve month full-time programme.
The two taught semesters (Semester A & B) are examined by coursework and lead to a Post-Graduate Diploma in the Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. These are followed by a dissertation in Semester C (June - September), successful completion of which will lead to an MA (TESOL).
The programme will cover the following areas:
- A practical introduction to English Language teaching (including: observation of experienced ELT professionals & 4-6 hours of teaching practice)
- In-depth analysis of the English Language (phonology, grammar, vocabulary and pragmatics of spoken and written English) to enhance knowledge of language for English language teaching
- Study of the extent and range of uses of English
- Theoretical insights into how languages are learned
- Methods of English language teaching and practical teaching sessions including needs analysis, syllabus design and materials production and evaluation, incorporating use of technology and testing
- Research methods - preparation for research and dissertation
- Dissertation - which will involve some collection and analysis of data
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- 01707 284800