Entry requirements for this course are normally:
- An Honours degree (2:2 or above) in a relevant subject or an equivalent professional qualification.
- Alternative qualifications and/or significant experience may be accepted, subject to approval.
- International students with qualifications in 'creative' or 'practice' subjects should submit a digital portfolio (pdf) of work with their application.
- All suitably qualified applicants are normally invited in for an informal chat with a portfolio or considered for admittance under alternative arrangements, such as a skype chat.
If your first language is not English, you will need to meet the minimum requirements of an English Language qualification. The minimum for IELTS is 6.0 overall with no element lower than 5.5, or equivalent will be considered acceptable. Read more about the University’s entry requirements for students outside of the UK on our Where are you from information pages.
Months of entry
Our course is designed to develop creative problem solving and innovative creative pattern cutting skills, incorporating new technologies and sustainable approaches. The course encourages research and discussion of new methods and experimental techniques in creative pattern cutting, to develop practical and analytical skills. The course aims to support the development of imaginative approaches to problem solving within the technical and design sector of the fashion industry.
The aim of this course is to enable you to:
- Critically appraise the importance of social, technological and cultural dimensions of garment construction as applied to your personal practice and that of others.
- Evidence advanced knowledge and understanding of the complete fashion design cycle, from concept to garment including its emerging and future trends.
- Systematically plan, negotiate, and implement a coherent body of work underpinned by advanced practice and research in creative pattern cutting.
- Contribute to the principles and processes inherent in design and creative pattern cutting to extend the life of clothing.
- Evidence awareness and relevance of your practice in relation to professional standards in creative pattern cutting and garment construction.
Practical modules are run by staff who are practicing designers with expertise in the role of Creative Pattern Cutter. You will acquire strong 2D and 3D technical skills required to establish your career or advance your current practice. Students are encouraged to engage with other departments within the University, such as 3D printing, laser cutting, textile print, embroidery and weave. This course is suited to applicants who wish to develop a future career within the industry or who wish to advance their existing skills in this area.
Fees and funding
Please check our website for fee information
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- +44 (0)1484 471382