Entry requirements for this course are normally:
- An Honours degree (2:2 or above) in a relevant subject or an equivalent professional qualification.
- Alternative qualifications and/or significant experience may be accepted, subject to approval.
- International students with qualifications in 'creative' or 'practice' subjects should submit a digital portfolio (pdf) of work with their application.
- All suitably qualified applicants are normally invited in for an informal chat with a portfolio or considered for admittance under alternative arrangements, such as a skype chat.
If your first language is not English, you will need to meet the minimum requirements of an English Language qualification. The minimum for IELTS is 6.0 overall with no element lower than 5.5, or equivalent will be considered acceptable. Read more about the University’s entry requirements for students outside of the UK on our Where are you from information pages.
Months of entry
The MA in Textiles aims to cover a vastly changing environment spanning both the more commercial and arts side of the subject. As a broad subject area this course allows you to explore a varied range of textile directions and contexts. It offers continuing or recent graduates opportunities to enhance their knowledge, skills, creativity and employment prospects, through imaginative enquiry into different textile, surface and textile craft concepts and processes.
The aim of this course is to enable you to:
- Develop innovative and imaginative approaches to materials, processes and methodologies in textiles, and rigorously test these ideas against trends within current practice
- Evidence advanced critical evaluation and development of traditional and advanced textile techniques in the innovation and creation of new product and concepts.
- Experiment, expand and encourage progressive thinking in the sustainable practices for textiles to meet future industry opportunities and customer demands.
- Systematically plan, negotiate, and implement a body of work underpinned by advanced practice and research in textiles and surface design.
- Contribute to the principles and processes inherent in textiles and surface design and their intersection with commercial and creative industries.
Our course aims to combine advanced creative, aesthetic and technical design skills. You will normally have a degree in a related subject (Textiles or Surface Design, Textile Crafts or Fashion), and may be seeking to develop fresh approaches to your subject design for fashion, interiors or exterior architectural surfaces, future materials, 3D textiles or surfaces, advancing your weave, embroidery, knit, and print skills, or textile art approaches, or may wish to build your portfolio for textile or surface roles in industry in the future.
Fees and funding
Please check our website for fee information
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- +44 (0)1484 471382