No prior teaching experience is needed. The course is particularly suitable if you have relevant qualifications and some experience in your industry and/or subject specialism.
- UK degree (normally 2:2 or above) or equivalent related to your specialist area
- Relevant work experience in some specialist subject areas
In addition you must also:
- provide Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and health clearances
- provide two satisfactory references
- complete a satisfactory interview
We particularly welcome applicants from under-represented groups.
If you study at the university centre, you’ll normally be offered a place on the Professional Graduate Certificate in Education.
Alternatively, you may be considered for a place on the Postgraduate Certificate in Education or the Postgraduate Diploma in Education (Advanced PGCE in Lifelong Learning).
If your first language is not English, you will need to meet the minimum requirements of an English Language qualification. The minimum for IELTS is 6.0 overall with no element lower than 5.5, or equivalent will be considered acceptable. Read more about the University’s entry requirements for students outside of the UK on our Where are you from information pages.
Months of entry
January, April, September
If you’re looking to progress into a career teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector, including sixth form and further education colleges, adult education and a wide range of other training and educational settings, then this course could be ideal for you. We welcome applicants with industrial skills and/or relevant academic qualifications and a passion for teaching and training others.
Why Lifelong Learning?
- Upon successful completion of this course, you’ll be eligible to proceed, following a process of professional formation through the Society for Education and Training to gain Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) status. This is the full professional status for teachers in the Lifelong Learning Sector.
- On this course you’ll have the opportunity to develop the skills to play a full part in teaching and curriculum development. While you study you’ll focus on your particular subject specialist area, alongside general teaching in the lifelong learning sector.
- A significant amount of your learning takes place whilst on placement within our partnership institutions.You’ll have the opportunity to benefit from being able to observe experienced teachers, gain practical hands-on experience and to be mentored to help you develop into a successful and effective teacher.
Why study with us?
- We've been training teachers since 1947 and together with our partners we train over 1400 teachers every year.
- You’ll be taught by an outstanding team of teacher educators. You’ll also have access to our extensive professional and academic network, which feeds directly into course design and delivery, and to excellent facilities and specialist equipment.
- There are many opportunities for further study with us, enabling you to continue your professional development after training to teach. These include our suite of Education Master's courses and research degrees, including Doctor of Education and Education PhD routes.
Please note: * This course is available at the University of Huddersfield (taught jointly with students on the CertEd qualification) and is also available through the [Education and Training Consortium.|http://consortium.hud.ac.uk/centres/]
Fees and funding
Please check our website for fee information
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- +44 (0)1484 478249