Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Entry requirements for this course are normally:
- An honours degree in a relevant subject at 2:2 or above, or a professional equivalent
- You must have Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), OR Qualified Teacher Learning Status (QTLS), OR Early Years Teacher Status (EYTS - appropriate for ages 0-5 only) and need to be a Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) or aspiring SENCo.
- For SENCos new to the role, it is mandatory to achieve the award within three years of appointment.
- You are required to have completed your Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT) induction year.
- You need to evidence that you have the support of the Head Teacher or equivalent roles in other settings and services in order to emphasize and support the strategic nature of the role.
- You must have access to a context that allows you to be able to complete the practical aspects required for completion of the National SENCo Award (for example, a reference/letter from a head teacher/equivalent stating this).
If your first language is not English, you will need to meet the minimum requirements of an English Language qualification. The minimum for IELTS is 6.0 overall with no element lower than 5.5, or equivalent will be considered acceptable. Read more about the University’s entry requirements for students outside of the UK on our Where are you from information pages.
Months of entry
This course is designed to develop your knowledge and expertise in special educational needs, disability (SEND) and inclusion, whilst allowing you to fulfil the Department for Education requirements for SENCos to achieve the National SENCo Award (NASENCO) within three years of taking up their role.
The course is informed by current practice, scholarship and research and will provide you with a critical awareness of current issues and developments in the field of SEND and inclusion. It also covers key concepts in leadership, supporting students to fulfil the strategic role required of SENCos in schools.
Fees and funding
Please check our website for fee information
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- +44 (0)1484 478261