To be eligible to take up your place on the GDL, you must comply with the following requirements:
- A UK undergraduate degree in any discipline (minimum 2:2), or an equivalent qualification.
Overseas graduates and mature non-graduates:
- Future barristers - please apply for a Certificate of Academic Standing from the Bar Stand Board (BSB)
- Future solicitors - please send your qualifications through to the Admissions team who can deem whether you are eligible for the course.
- A sufficient command of English is required to successfully complete the course
If you have a legal qualification from outside England and Wales or have studied aspects of law as part of a non-qualifying degree course, you may be exempted from certain elements of the GDL. If this applies to you:
- Future barristers - please apply for a Certificate of Academic Standing from the Bar Standards Board (BSB)
- Future solicitors - please e-mail a copy of your degree certificate through to the Admissions team who can deem whether you are eligible for certain exemptions on the GDL
- If you are claiming full exemptions for the GDL you will need to apply for a Certificate of Academic Standing from the Bar Standards Board or Solicitors Regulation Authority.
Further information can be obtained from the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) (for future solicitors) or Bar Standards Board (BSB) (for future barristers).
If you have completed a degree outside the UK and you do not come from a majority English speaking country:
- A certified copy of any document that proves that you are qualified in English at CEFR level B2 or above in each of the four components of language learning.
For more information, visit the entry requirements page.
A non-standard application route is also available. Any applicant with no or limited formal qualifications will be invited in-centre to complete an in-house numeracy and literacy test (for those without GCSE Maths and English at D/3 and C/4 respectively), as well as a formal face-to-face interview. They will also need to provide 2 years of appropriate work experience evidenced in a full CV and one reference.
Months of entry
Kick-start your legal career with our GDL law conversion course, designed for non-law graduates who want to become a solicitor or barrister.
- Think like a lawyer and build practical legal skills via training using real life case studies.
- Explore an area of law that interests you via your own Research Project or Law of Organisations module.
- With our structured study pattern, foundation module teaching and assessment is spread out so you can focus on selected modules each semester.
Information for international students
English language requirements - IELTS 6.0 or above with a minimum of 5.5 in each component.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- 0800 289997