For taught and research Masters courses, applicants are expected to have obtained a first class or upper second class honours degree (or equivalent) in a relevant subject prior to commencing the programme.
For MPhil or PhD study you will normally need a Masters degree in a relevant area.
Exceptions to these academic requirements may be made if you can demonstrate significant industry experience.
Months of entry
IDEA welcomes applications for PhD study. The Centre can provide a broad base of supervisory expertise in applied ethics, broadly construed, but has particular strengths in:
- Moral psychology, especially desire, emotion, and rationality and virtue theory,
- Ancient ethics, especially Plato and Aristotle,
- Biomedical & Health Care Ethics,
- Contemporary moral theory,
- The demandingness of ethics and gradability in moral theories,
- Business ethics and the purpose of business,
- Climate change and responsibility,
- Professional ethics (and engineering ethics in particular),
- Emotions and ethics - the role of emotions in correct responses to ethical considerations, Ethical issues in leadership and influence,
- Informed consent,
- Integrity (in individuals and in organisations),
- Moral development
- Political philosophy (especially political obligation)
- Practical wisdom, practical judgment and moral expertise,
- Privacy and surveillance issues, including the ethics of big data
- Psychiatric ethics (including vice and mental illness),
- Moral luck and punishment,
- Media ethics,
- The ethical significance of pleasure and pain (e.g. in public policy, in ethical goal-setting), The ethics of persuasion, including (but not limited to) rhetoric, advocacy, advertising, The public interest.
Information for international students
If English is not your first language, you will need a recognised English Language qualification. The School of PRHS requires applicants to have obtained IELTS band score of 6.5 (with no less than 6.0 in any skill) or equivalent prior to commencing a degree programme.
Fees and funding
Please see the scholarship page for more details.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions
- +44 (0)113 343 3263