A bachelor degree with a 2:2 (hons) or equivalent qualification in a related science discipline (eg health, science, social sciences, management or business) and a minimum of two years’ work experience in a health service or developing health system in a low-middle income country. In exceptional cases, we may accept extensive work experience in health services or health systems instead of these academic requirements.
Months of entry
This programme enables you to become a senior/middle level policy maker, health manager or planner who can provide the crucial vision, direction, governance and stewardship for an effective health system.
This programme provides a critically analytical and practice-based approach to the main challenges and issues facing the providers of health and related services in developing countries.
On completion you will have gained:
• the essential skills required to improve health services, programmes and related management systems of the communities in which you work
• experience of an international learning environment, with staff and students drawn from a variety of professional backgrounds around the world
• the experience of having pursued your individual study interests in a learning environment where research informs teaching
• the ability to take a proactive role in problem solving, critically reviewing evidence and arriving at informed decisions
• the skills to review policies, situations and issues in the field of health management, planning and policy making in developing health systems, with particular reference to government and NGO sectors.
You will have the opportunity of attending an optional one-week study tour in Geneva exploring and networking with a range of international organisations.
Information for international students
For applicants whose first language is not English an IELTS 6.5 with at least 6.0 in all components or equivalent is required.
Fees and funding
For information about subject specific funding opportunities for courses in the Nuffield Centre for International Health and Development please visit http://medhealth.leeds.ac.uk/info/692/study/1125/funders.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Office
- +44 (0)113 343 0806