A bachelor's degree with a 2:1 (hons) or above in a geological, geophysical, environmental geology, mining or related subject. Mathematics to A-level is also preferred, although GSCE level is accepted.
If you have a lower qualification and a non-standard geology degree, you may be considered on an ad-hoc basis, supported by relevant experience. You may also have to take an entrance exam.
We accept a range of international equivalent qualifications. For more information, please contact the Admissions Team.
Months of entry
Structural geologists are crucial to implementing a successful and sustainable energy transition which addresses some of the greatest challenges of our time. Our Structural Geology with Geophysics MSc is a unique and globally leading Masters programme that fully equips you with the expertise needed to make real change across the breadth of energy and resource-facing industries.
You’ll gain advanced theoretical and practical training, combining structural and geophysical techniques to solve real-world geological problems across a range of subsurface environments, from renewable and sustainable energy provision and storage to ores and minerals resources.
Throughout the course, you’ll master the practical application of structural geology, exploring geological and geophysical constraints on subsurface interpretation whilst developing structural models and associated 3D visualisation software skills.
You’ll be taught by academics with a wealth of expertise and industry experience, and you'll have access to specialist facilities that’ll prepare you for working in industry.
At the end of the programme, as a skilled subsurface interpreter and modeller, you’ll have an extensive skill set, transferable into independent academic research or across a wide range of exciting career paths in this field.
Why study at Leeds:
- Graduate with an MSc accredited by the Geological Society from a university ranked 9th in the UK for Geology, Complete University Guide League Tables 2023 and top 50 in the world for Geology and Geophysics, QS World University Rankings 2022.
- Learn the latest, most pressing challenges for achieving sustainable and clean energy and resources from the impactful research conducted across five world-leading research institutes right here in our School of Earth and Environment, which feeds directly into the course.
- Advance your knowledge and skills in key areas like structural interpretation, geophysical survey techniques, geomechanics, structural modelling and 3D/4D thinking in geological contexts.
- Conduct your own individual research project, which focuses on a genuine research challenge that suits your interests and is often conducted in close collaboration with industry partners or with academics within the university.
- Build industry experience through fieldwork opportunities and develop professional, transferable skills in time management, critical and analytical thinking, teamwork, presenting and report writing throughout your course.
- Access specialist facilities, including industry-standard software and high-spec, dedicated computer facilities.
- Develop your own industry links through our network of partners and undertake opportunities like short courses and company-led training workshops, provided by companies such as BP, Schlumberger (Petrel), Badleys (T7) and Seequent (Leapfrog) which provide both an excellent opportunity to interact with industry experts and develop skills in industry-facing software crucial in future career pathways.
- Experience expert practical and theoretical teaching, delivered by a programme team made up of geoscientists from the School’s Institute of Applied Geoscience and Institute of Geophysics and Tectonics.
- Enhance your career prospects and join our successful alumni who have pursued careers in related positions, working for reputable corporations worldwide such as Fugro, ARUP, Schlumberger, AECOM, and Shell.
Fees and funding
International Masters Excellence Scholarship
These competitive scholarships are awarded in the form of a 25% tuition fee reduction to international candidates who demonstrate outstanding academic achievement. There are limited scholarships available.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions Team
- +44 (0)113 343 8109