A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons) or above in a geological, geophysical, environmental geology, mining or related subject. Mathematics to A-level is also preferred, although GSCE level is accepted. Lower qualifications and non-standard geology degrees may be considered on an ad-hoc basis, supported by relevant experience. Applicants may have to take an entrance exam.
Fully specified course.
Months of entry
Join us for our Master Open Day to find out more about our courses.
This programme is the only applied structural geology Masters in the UK. It provides advanced training in the practical application of structural geology, preparing you either for employment in the hydrocarbon or mining industries or for postgraduate study (PhD).
You’ll gain a skillset combining advanced structural techniques and interpreting seismic data, an understanding of structural systems in time and space, and an appreciation of both the geological and geophysical constraints of seismic interpretation and model building. This will allow you to use a combination of structural and geophysical techniques to solve geological problems. As a capable seismic interpreter you’ll be able to contribute in an industry role from day one.
Our teaching is research led, with direct links to active applied research. You’ll be taught by a range of research and industry experts, as well as through industry-led workshops. Strong industry links are a feature of this programme.
- The only applied structural geology Masters in the UK, offering you a route to both industry or a PhD.
- Unlike other petroleum/ ore geoscience courses in the UK, which only provide you with broad training in all aspects of petroleum and ore geology. At Leeds, apply your skills, tools, and knowledge in structural geology and tectonics to exploration settings, datasets, and problems.
- A key focus of this Masters is on understanding structural evolution in various settings and the use of 3D and 4D thinking in geological contexts. Skills that are essential for your employment in industry.
- Gain an international standard of Masters qualification in 12 months rather than 24. We deliver focused, advanced teaching linked to a research project (in contrast to the more research-oriented US Masters).
- Undertake free fieldwork in the UK and EU that is directly linked to your classroom learning.
- Choose from hydrocarbon and mining module options, depending on your interests.
- Access high-spec computing facilities and industry-standard software.
- Produce an industry or research focused dissertation in your final year.
Information for international students
We accept a range of international equivalent qualifications. For information contact the School of Earth and Environment admissions team.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- +44 (0)113 343 8109